Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Bell sound from the wheel

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  blueghost 
#1 ·
Hello guys,

I have a weird bell sound when the truck is moving and it's cease when in a full halt. I will remove the wheel when there will be less snow and ice. But for the moment, any idea of what it could be ?

#2 ·
2 Questions
does it happen at all the speeds?
Does the intensity increases as you go faster?
does it go away at higher speeds?
Is it metal to metal sound?
Is it front or back wheel?

OK 5
did you check for screws or stones stack in the thread
Just to confirm your truck is 4x4

#3 ·
It's like a ding a ling...yes it's metallic. I think it's from the front left wheels. Yup, it's a 99 scab XLT 4x4. It decrease when i slow down and increase a little bit at higher speed. One time last week, it didn't occur at all...like if what does it was frozen somewhere...No it's not the tick tick tick of a rock stock in the threads. Quite strange. Thank

#7 ·
Finally,I had the chance to go under the truck this afternoon.
And guess what... I found what was doing the ding a ling sound.
It don't makes me happy, but it's not the hub at all.
I found a sensor that was hanging and it was hitting the front drive shaft when the truck move... that's probably why the service engine is always on.
I guess it's the left side exhaust sensor... The guy probably patch the hole and stuck the sensor somewhere, but it moved and hanged there again.

Hope it's not the manifold...looks not too well placed and hard to change...

Thanks.

#9 ·
I didn't receive the code reader yet... damn shipping from usps...takes long.

So ABS light must mean differential sensor... but since ABS to 4 wheels, guess I will go straight to ford...

I have to change the manifold too... somes are cheap on ebay,but shippings is more than $100.00.

#10 ·
By the way, if someone changed his regular manifolds to place headers or have a used one for a v8 4.6l 1999 ( or knows someone who knows someone who may have one:icon_lol: ) I am searching for the left one (driver side). I also need the sensor and gasket. (Gasket is cheaper... can go to NAPA to get it).

Thanks a lot :icon_wink:

#12 ·
I don't think you will get a code for your ABS just the ABS light on you cluster. Did you put the sensor back on and clear the codes yet? Did it fix your CEL probs???

For you manifolds I think it's cheaper to get a set of headers than NEW stock manifolds, get longs if you go for headers, shorts are useless.

Just a thaught, you might get bad O2 readings if you have a vacumme leak (that includes cracked or leaky seals on you manifolds)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.