Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

pullin the dash apart

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  lumberjack 
#1 ·
need to get into the radio section of the dash. Dont want to start ripping stuff apart that might break otherwise so can someone give me a heads up on how the dash comes apart please. thx

#3 ·
Are you replacing the radio or just need behind it?
what's your plan/agenda?

to get the radio out use 2 ford radio removal tools. they are a 'U' shape. They fit into the sides of the radio. 4 small allen keys sometimes work.. but the removal tools are way way easier

edit:
found this on google.

Different year.. but same concept/instructions .

#4 ·
truck is a 94 F150... aftermarket stereo is installed and the retard (no offense to those who are disabled because they are smarter then this guy) previous owner somehow installed the unit to shut off when I dim my dash lights and then if I dont shut off the dash switch when the truck is off (dim then down) then the battery dies and I'm jumping the truck in the morning.

Soo I'd like to get in behind the dash of the radio and rewire the whole thing so that my radio isn't hooked up to the damn dimmer switch.

thanks

#5 ·
Most aftermarkets for those years should just need a thin piece of steel on either side of the radio, after you remove the radio trim ring. About 18 ga. thick and 1/4 to 3/8 of and inch wide. Inserted in the left and right sides to release the catches and the radio should slide out. Sounds like he used the same plug for a new radio that's wired a little different, or it's not grounded properly.

#6 ·
yup seen that before.
sounds like they cut the factory plug off.

depends on the model of radio. some radio shops might "pop" it out of the cage for you.
or order some proper removal tools for that radio..

I don't believe the dash comes apart near the radio to access behind it.

possibly removing the ashtray area "may" get you some access to the wiring.

#8 ·
To get right up underneath the radio, you'll need to remove the heat controls. Breaking vacuum lines becomes a real possiblity at that point.

#10 ·
Try just removing the radio. That shouldn't be difficult and shouldn't disturb anything else.

#13 ·
There is a small plastic trim piece around the radio it pops off easy then you will see the small slots for the tools to slide into, you should feel them click do 1 at a time, once both are clicked in grab the radio and pull straight out. If they used a aftermarket wiring harness there should be a big mess of wires, if you have the manual for the radio just look at the wring diagram and trace the wires. Should be just changing 2 wires or disconnecting 1-2 as they may not be needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.