Few Random Question - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Few Random Question

First being, I went to pick up plug wires, and they asked if the truck was EEC, I assume it means Electronic Engine Control. how do I know if it has it? Its a 91 302.
Second I was under my truck and noticed the previous dipsh*t owner tied the heat sheild for the cc down bc it was falling off. Does it really need to be there? I cant see the heat being an issue, but what about Safety Inspection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 PM

Garage
You'd have to check with your local Ministry regulations, but I'm going to guess the regs would be more concerned with the catalytic convertor itself being intact and capable of performing it's job more than the heat shield being in place.

Better to have the heat shield removed than hanging there, flopping around until it eventually breaks free and possibly becomes a hazard to whoever's following you at the time. lol

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 PM

Depending on where you get your MVI done you could yank the cat out and replace it with a straight pipe and they won't care. I know heat shields don't matter at all. We're pretty lax here in NB with emissions stuff.

As for the computer question, I can't really say. I don't know much about Ford's introduction of OBD-I in the trucks (if they even did). All I can say is that after 1996 everything's OBD-II. I guess your best bet is to get a set of wires and see if they fit. If not, then your truck is different than what plugs you have. If that makes sense.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

gonna call the dealer in the am and run the vin
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 AM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Fuel injection = EEC

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taisa899 View Post
Fuel injection = EEC
I googled it and why wouldnt it just be called fuel injetion? Wouldnt all 91's be FI.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taisa899 View Post
Fuel injection = EEC
You speak the truth apparently, thanks.
Weird that they would ask me if my truck was EEC at the parts counter when they searched plug wires in their parts. If its a 91 wouldnt it obviously be FI?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Think you need a new parts guy

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

It had everyone in the store confused, its Marshland here in Moncton, NB, where the people actually seem to know a little about what they are talking about.
There seems to be a little more to it than just being fuel injected bc some carbed models also had it.
It has to do more with fuel management and troubles assc. with it. The easiest way I figured out how to know is the EEC4 equipped is they have it running directly from the top of the distributor cap to the module coming off the firewall. The non EEC dont have the 9th electrode for the extra wire.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:48 PM

Carb'd models were known as CFI. They had 1 injector which shot fuel into the carb and they did have a computer. My ex's 86 F150 had it.

Also not all ignition control modules are mounted on the fender/firewall. Some are actually mounted on the distributor. That's what that flat square on the side of the distributor under the cap is for.

Any other questions?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode