Small miss and airlock in cooling system - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Small miss and airlock in cooling system

Just did a quick tuneup to my truck. It had a rough idle and was lacking power
Changed manifold gasket and fixed leak at manifold to exhaust
Changed Spark plugs, wires, dist cap, and rotor
The truck idles and runs better but still has a slight miss
The thing that worries me is that I reconnected the valve cover to airbox hose (previous owner unhooked)and it is getting gummed up with yellowish froth and froth in the oil cap
At first I thought the worst, head gasket, but no froth in oil, coolant level never went down.
Then I thought blowby but there is very little smoke coming out of the oil fill, and no pressure coming out of the cap
Any ideas

Second I changed the thermostat and have a very annoying air lock. I tried letting it reach normal operating temp at idle, squeezing the rad hoses, heat on, heat off etc.
The truck never heated up past normal range but while driving it heats up almost to red then immediately drops back down to normal. The fluid in the overfill stays cold so it is not cycling. I was told by a buddy to leave the rad cap unlocked, while going for a short drive, not off, just not sealed and allow it to boil over . Do you think this will work?

I also want to seafoam the truck, I should have done it b4 the tune up. But it should be ok, I've heard it can foul plugs, but I doubt theres any truth in that. Any feedback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 02:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Make sure none of your plug wires are crossed close as this can cause spark jump which will cause a miss.

Second no need to take the truck for a drive to get rid of the air lock. You can do it idling in your driveway with the rad cap off.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 AM

Garage
I use Seafoam in my bikes every 3rd or 4th tank of fuel. It keeps the fuel system spotless including the carbs/jets. I haven't experienced any issues with the plugs.

2014 F150 FX4 | SuperCrew | 5.0L | 4x4 | Sterling Grey Metallic

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taisa899 View Post
Make sure none of your plug wires are crossed close as this can cause spark jump which will cause a miss.

Second no need to take the truck for a drive to get rid of the air lock. You can do it idling in your driveway with the rad cap off.
It doesnt seem to ever reach the airlock while its sitting in the driveway. I let it run for about 15 minutes with the cap off but I never puts coolant into the overflow.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 AM

If you hear it gurgling at the heater core you will probably have to raise the front end and do it that way. 15 minutes will not be enough and make sure you squeese the upper hose lots.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Garage
With the rad cap loose, You won't get coolant overflow right away. When the thermostat opens, the air should get pumped into the radiator. At this point, add more coolant. Make sure it's not ice cold. Stick it on top of a heat vent from the furnace or something. Don't microwave it. It will need longer than 15 minutes idling in the driveway. You may have an injector not firing right which may cause a miss. O-rings on the injectors may need changing.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

has anyone ever experienced blow by with a 5.0. There is a little smoke coming out of the oil fill but not enough to knock a loose cap off like most blow by
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Never experienced it on my 5.0. Have you checked your PCV valve?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

yup replaced it, seems to be functioning fine. I wish I had've seafoamed it b4 I did everything else. I dont want to take the chance that it will foul my plugs. The inside of the valve cover is gooped up pretty good. Black tarry stuff.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode