Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Clutch Pedal Adjust

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  shelbyx1 
#1 ·
1991 6 cyl Standard 4 on the floor.
Replaced clutch master cylinder. and slave cylinder
Not enough travel to shift properly,
Cant seem to find adjustment to give more lift or rotation on clutch pedal. Wasup guys.

#3 ·
make sure you have a clutch master cylinder fo the 91 if you dont it wont work right
i had the same problem with my 93 ranger i had to put in a 91 master cylinder,,, cause my motor ad tranny are out of a 91
the 93 cylinder could put it far enough to get it in gear
but when i switched out the 91 works perfect. so my trucks fixed..

hope this helped.

#4 ·
the slave on input systems are notorious for air locks,most will require a vaccuum bleeder to get air out,also check the master cylinder pushrod bushing for wear(common problem)heres the bleed procedureBleed Procedure
Under normal conditions, disconnecting the clutch coupling will not introduce air into the system. However, if there appears to be air in the system (spongy pedal, or insufficient bearing travel) the system must be bled. The following procedure is used with the hydraulic system installed on the vehicle. The largest portion of bleeding is carried out by gravity.

Clean dirt and grease from around the reservoir cap.
Remove cap and diaphragm and fill reservoir to the step with Heavy Duty Brake Fluid C6AZ-19542-AA or -BA (ESA-M6C25-A) or equivalent. Brake fluid must be certified to DOT 3 specification.

Loosen bleed screw (located in the slave cylinder body) next to the inlet connection.
Fluid will now begin to flow from the master cylinder, down the black tube and into the slave cylinder.
NOTE: The reservoir must be kept full at all times to ensure that there will be no additional introduction of air into the system.

It should be noted at this point, that bubbles will appear at the bleed screw outlet. This means that air is being expelled. When the slave cylinder is full, a steady flow of fluid will come from the slave cylinder outlet. Tighten the bleed screw.
Slowly depress clutch pedal to the floor and hold. Loosen bleed screw to allow air and excess fluid to be expelled. Retighten bleed screw when fluid flow stops.
Cycle pedal slowly five times with a two-second dwell at the top of each stroke.
Refill reservoir to level at step. If evidence of air still exists, repeat Steps 6 and 7.
The hydraulic system should now be fully bled and should properly release the clutch. Check clutch reserve per the instructions in Section 08-00, Clutch General Service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.