Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Rare?

3K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  Garry D 
#1 ·
So..my truck is fairly rare being a Trailer Special..plus its made in Kansas City..Missouri..plus its 42 years old..still runs strong..and get this..after 42 years..the factory build sheet is still under the seat..the only way to get it out of course is very carefully..and to take the seat off..their is also a partial road map of Alberta in the glove box...from 1977..Elvis died in 1977..age 42..my truck is 42 years old..i have Elvis 8 tracks..(needs servicing)..i was 7 in 1977..(dad had Fords)

#3 ·
I believe it has storage boxes built into the bottom of the box with little doors. Kinda cool that Ford came up with it before Dodge or GM did by about 35 years.

#4 ·
yeah , no ..
there was the optional tool box on the long box fleetside and the side mount spare on the extra long long box trucks - longer wheelbase and shorter rear dogleg on the box side if I remember correctly & maybe F350 only ??

my 76 supercab 460 f250 parts truck was also a trailer special which means it had everything for a trailer - kinda a super - trailer package if you will , rather than the "camper special" that was intended for slide in campers

#5 ·
:signs139:I sit corrected.

#7 ·
Just like the "Turbo Diesel" on mine. Available only in 93 and 94. Nobody seems to list it anywhere.

#9 ·

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
if you're not intimately familiar with the 70's trucks you might wanna start looking at the hood frames

late trucks , at least the 78/9 have an extra cut out in the sides , halfway from front to back

this allows the hood to fold in the middle in a collision

my 76 hood DID NOT have this extra cut..

I still remember a news story from way way back as a kid early/mid 70's about some pickup trucks having hoods that cut the windshield posts and occupants heads off ...

memory of it includes a very short windshield and a hood wider than the base of the posts
only one brand of 70's truck was like that ...

you might wanna check your 77 hood..and if need be add the cut out to it
easier to mod the old hood as all the 78-9 hoods will be rotted at the front as they have holes punched for the ford lettering

back in '84 I was on the same schedule as some guy with a beautiful baby blue 79 f150 coming along the 401 in scarborough
I used to see it at least once a week in the summer

then one day I saw the same truck at one of the body shops at 401 and kingston rd
it looked like it had run into a wall

and yep the hood was folded totally in half like a sheet of paper
and it was still attached to it's hinges and the rest of the truck...
so those notches.. you do wanna cut 'em out if your truck doesn't have them

the hood in the picture very definitely does not have the cut outs

edited , I'm not sure if the triangle in the inner frame is cut in addition but you can clearly see the notches ford added on the yellow 79 hood

Attachments

#16 ·
Doesn't look like a foldable hood. I think it was only 78-79 that had them. Decapitation by hood it these trucks is a one in a million shot. The hood hinges are designed to push the back of the hood up and the front of the cab should keep it going up. If it's a big concern, get a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood. Knock about 50lbs off the trucks weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.