Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

E brake

931 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Garry D 
#1 ·
Well the e-brake doesnt engage which will probably screw up my inspection..i cant fix it..looks like i will be spending some money..cig lighters..c.b..minor rust..that can all wait and its minor..i just want it registered and insured once again so i can burn around my little town of Peace River(beautiful place)..grab a load of split wood(100.00)..cruise around...i have a nice sound system from my 1980 z-28 i could get installed one day..cheaper than restoring an old 8 track player(friggin expensive)..although i will someday..all lights work..brakes are fine..tires are brand new..horn is new..total tuneup(wires..distributor..plugs..oil)..new waterpump..fluids are topped up..brand new heater core..been topping up with fresh gas..guage cluster is screwed..would like a brand new one..etc..my son is 19 and doesnt want anything to do with it..haha..he did when he was younger but knows its dads hobby so he just helps and wants a brand new truck with all the bells and whistles...eventually i would like to take it in and get the motor totally overhauled..taking out rrsps is soooo tempting..oh hell....Blue Jays have just won in the 15th inning..cool

#2 ·
I hate to rain on your parade, but, the e-brake must work for a proper inspection. A truck that old requires careful inspection of brakes. Steel lines cannot be caked with rust, flex hoses cannot be cracked, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and calipers cannot leak and must operate well, speedometer must work and be illuminated at night with the lights on, no rust holes into the cab and be structurally sound, exhaust must be intact and carry exhaust fumes beyond the cab, steering must work properly as in tie rods are not loose but not seized, same for king pins, and pivot bushings, radius arm bushings, springs and shocks, brake drums and rotors must be a minimum thickness, rotor and outer rear axle bearings and seals, shoes and pads must be a minimum thickness and not be contaminated with oil and cannot be cracked, u-joints must be tight but not seized, drive shafts must be true, spring perches, shackles, radius arm mounts cannot be perforated with rust and securely attached. There's a lot more stuff to cover but if this stuff isn't so then don't do an inspection until it is. Otherwise, you're peeing into the wind. I mention these items because your truck is old enough to have these problems and I wouldn't want you to have an accident and not be able to enjoy your truck. They're good trucks. They just sometimes need a little work. They are built FordTough!

#3 ·
Someone should write up and inspection check list and post it in it's own sticky. Applicable for all provinces and territories.

#4 ·
Yes it was inspected up until 2 years ago and insured yet your right.It has no leaks but the underneath is showing surface rust and lines are certainly looking corroded.The brakes are very strong still but i just noticed the steering column underneath the hood is looking worn(yikes)..if that needs replacing it just becomes a money pit.Yet it is my hobby so..i know a 42 year old truck is going to be a money pit come inspection time..darn..

#5 ·
The nylon bushing at the bottom of the column is somewhat easily replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.