Check Engine but no codes? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Check Engine but no codes?

The "Check Engine" light comes on on my '94 F-150 4 x 4 (110,000 km), and when I had it checked out today, it showed no codes stored at all. The light was coming on a lot for a couple of weeks. The mechanic I go to did not have the connection for the older trucks, to check the code, so he suggested disconnecting the battery and resetting everything, just to see if it was false code, because the truck is running very well.

The light came on again Saturday, and again yesterday (Monday), so I took it in to a larger shop and, as I said, he found nothing stored in the computer. The truck runs really well, though the mechanic today said it was running only slightly rough, but hardly worth mentioning. He did check a couple of plugs but they are ok....certainly it is not in need of a tune up, he said, and the gas mileage is still in the 20- 21 mpg range (mostly highway).

The light comes on after it has run a while...20 minutes if on the highway, and it only comes on once in a while in the city, as the trips are shorter.

Is this just a dummy code? Or has someone else had a similar problem? Plug wires are new, apparently, and when I bought the truck 3 months ago, the mechanic said it had had a tune-up not that long ago. No stumbling and no obvious loss of power on the highway. Gets regular maintenance and the PCV was just changed on the weekend (what an awful location for a PCV).

I had a '92 Flareside for 13 years and it was always good at capturing codes, even two weeks after the fact, so I am not sure if false codes are common or not?

I don't know if this means anything or not but someone told me that a gas cap not positioned properly will cause some codes on some trucks. When I bought my truck, I had to replace the front tank (leaking)...the prev owner just ran on the back tank....I just went out and checked, and while the caps are secure, the little flap, where you insert the nozzle to pump gas, is missing on the front tank.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckguy94 View Post
the little flap, where you insert the nozzle to pump gas, is missing on the front tank.
I,m no mechanic, but that could be the cause....the gas cap being tight has something to do with pressure in the system I believe. So maybe the missing flap is leaking whatever pressure it builds causing your problem engine light. My 2 cents anyway.

Josh
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 PM

Also if it's an older gas cap and it's not sealing properly, the light will come on. Could be a cheap fix, pick up a new cap... put it on drive it for a bit and see if it shuts off.

2009 F150 XLT 4X4 5.4 / 2" Autospring Lift / 275/65R20 BFG All Terrains (34.1)

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooker View Post
Also if it's an older gas cap and it's not sealing properly, the light will come on. Could be a cheap fix, pick up a new cap... put it on drive it for a bit and see if it shuts off.
Didn't Ford had a problem with some of them?????

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

thanks, I will try a new gas cap today...
Bill
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to mitchbtu
Im almost wondering if maybe there is just a weird sort of short with the light itself. If the light comes on that means a code has been thrown from a sensor, yet you show no codes... I would think if it is the gascap it would still throw a code... Let us know the results of the gascap replace.. Im really curious..

99 Ford Ranger X-Cab 4x4. 3L V6. 5 Spd.. Mods -Michelin 31x10.5x15 XRadial Tires, Proformance Venom II Chip, Cold Air Intake, Window Visors, Euro Marker and Tail Lights, LED Front Corners, 05 Ranger Side Mirrors, 6000k HID Headlamps, Stock Cass/CD Stereo(taken from a Windstar), Interior Dome/Map(taken from a Taurus), White/Blue Glow Instruments, Stainless Steel Bezel...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

yeah, the mechanic showed me the reader: nothing (3- 4 different screens)...he went on to pull a couple of plugs ... he said there was some slight odd burning on the one plug but nothing serious enough to want him to blame the plugs at all, and the other tune-up parts are reasonably new... I did not get a chance to get gas caps today, but will do so tomorrow...the rubber seal on one cap does look dried out certainly, but I was running on the other tank and still got the light......getting 16 mpg city driving so the fuel consumption is not out of line, and the truck is running smoothly ... truck gets 19- 21 on the highway, usually closer to 20- 20.5 range... as a precaution, I called a dealer that I have been told is very reputable, and will have them check the codes next week, if the fuel cap thing does not pan out.

The mechanic that read the codes had a very new looking reader so I wonder if it is not the right type, as was suggested earlier.... I specifically asked the dealership if they had a good reader for a '94 model, and he said they did.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 AM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
If i remember, the older fords have 2 kinds of codes. hard and soft ones. the hard ones stay in the memory and will illuminate the CEL. The soft ones are not stored and the CEL may not come on. Hope i'm giving you some accurate info. keep us posted with the findings.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

one of the guys on F150.net mentioned he had trouble getting codes off his car ('93) which used the same early code system...finally was told it took a specific type of reader to pull it off properly and the code was for a sticking EGR....

...in the meantime, I changed the gas caps this morning...heading over to Manitoulin Island early tomorrow, so if the light is still going to come on, I will know it. I think I will check with the dealer again, if the light is coming on...I will be stopping at a real good Ford dealer about an hour from me, on the way to "the Island", next week, and I'll find out if I should leave the truck running when I get there, if the light is on, just to ensure we get a code, if there is one to get...lol.

If the truck was higher mileage, I would not be so fussy, but it has only 110,000 km (under 70,000 mi), and it is otherwise very, very nice condition for a nearly 15 year old truck.

And thanks to the folks who run this board...I have only used it a couple of times since hooking up a few months ago, and the info you guys pass on is really excellent...

I am also glad to have another F-150. My first F-150 was a brand new '90 XLT Lariat Nov. 89) 2 wd, loaded with every option, and it was a beauty. The second was a '92 Flareside 2wd, also loaded, bought as a demonstrator in Nov. '92 (too good a deal to pass up; I wasn't even looking for another truck at the time)...I had it 13 years and 300,000 km...had swapped in 2 new fenders (minor rust), and was gonna change the doors, too (also minor rust), but my father hit black ice one day in November and that was the end of the Flareside...lol...engine was not even using oil when it was totaled, nor was the tranny acting up.

The current F-150 has the chrome bed rails off my '90 F-150 (my father bought the '90 and added a cap, and saved the bed rails 16 years til I grabbed them)....I also have the spare tire out of the '92 Flareside (it, the tailgate, and the grille were the only things not destroyed when the Flareside rolled...lol)

And a PSA about seat belts...we were wearing our seatbelts when the truck rolled..my father had a minor scratch on his head; I was uninjured in the initial impact; that is it... in the confusion of the truck being upside down in a shallow ditch about 6' below the road surface, I broke my arm when I got wedged between the seat and the altered roof line, not realizing what was going on...lol... the roof had been karate chopped between us, right to the dash, but it had not crushed the roof where we were sitting....
Bill
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 PM

You guys where lucky
Hope the cap will work for you
Did you try to borrow a reader from Canadian Tire

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode