starting issues/ - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

starting issues/

my 94 f- 150 gave no indication of starter troubles at all, until today....stopped at the coffee shop and I had to crank it twice to get it going...just thought it was not in "park" properly at the time.... a while later, was home and on my way out again, and it started fine, but at the store, I had to crank it about 6 times and then it fired up.... so I came home just in case and now it will not start...just get a single "clunk" each time you turn the key...sound comes from up on the passenger side by the firewall....is that the starter or the battery or...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 04:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
Try to boost it see if you killed your battery, then try to tap your starter with a hammer or what ever metal thing you can get in there while some else is trying to turn it over. Might also have battery/alternator issues if you battery is dead

Sounds like a bad starter solenoid to me, Also make sure you wires from starter to alternator are in good condition and well connected, if you get it going with a few taps you might get away with tapping it like that for a while but it will need to be replaced or rebuilt asap. Also sucks when you have to ask some random dude on the street to turn your truck over while you go under and tap it

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 07:16 PM

I first would check the connections on the starter they could be corroded or be in need of replacing a common problem on some models

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

as a non- mechanic, I know a battery can fail very quickly....the trouble I had took maybe an hour and 4 start-ups before it would not start...so a starter can go that quickly?...I did notice, after poking around, the one battery terminal could be turned by hand...I know it was tight 2 months ago because I had to disco the battery to reset a check engine light, and I had tightened it with vise grips...don't know when it loosened off
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:34 PM

do you have headers on it?the extra heat will open the windings in a high milage starter,it will start fine cold but slow or none hot.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

no headers, and it is relatively low mileage at 118,00 km/ 73,000 mi truck, though age is likely the critical factor at 15 years old... and yeah, I had a car like that, where it would not start when warm...I think the mechanic said there is more resistance when warm?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

just as a follow-up, it started up this a.m. after sitting overnight, but I dare not drive it... I had a car that did the same thing and the guy said it had something to do with the heat of the motor affecting the starter in some way....more resistance built up in a warm motor?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 03:11 PM

sorta sounds like the solenoid like above... if it wont start you can jump the terminals if it starts this way then you know its the said part.....

maybe check the starter cable as there knowen to rot out dad has a 93 so he's been through it lol
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckguy94 View Post
just as a follow-up, it started up this a.m. after sitting overnight, but I dare not drive it... I had a car that did the same thing and the guy said it had something to do with the heat of the motor affecting the starter in some way....more resistance built up in a warm motor?
it's called heat soak

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode