Gas Mileage - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Gas Mileage

Well, when I first got my truck the gas mileage sucked, so I put a bottle of injector cleaner in. I gained about 120kms with that. Then the truck starting acting up.....long story short I replaced the fuelpump,throttle position sensor and finally the computer. It solved that problem, but the fuel milage went down to 200kms a tank on a good week. Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on why the mileage got worse....could it be that it is running better than before, therefore using more gas....???? Its the only reason I can come up with.

Thanks
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:20 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
you're not driving more "spiritedly" now that the truck is running better are you winter fuel could be hurting your mileage,change the air/fuel filters? haven't got a dragging brake? i'm outta ideas.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Supercrew View Post
you're not driving more "spiritedly" now that the truck is running better are you winter fuel could be hurting your mileage.
lol no, I changed the fuel filter and air filter. The truck has been like this since the summer when the work was done, I'm leaving for school soon and the less gas I have to put in it the better. Thanks for the ideas.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynger View Post
Well, when I first got my truck the gas mileage sucked, so I put a bottle of injector cleaner in. I gained about 120kms with that. Then the truck starting acting up.....long story short I replaced the fuelpump,throttle position sensor and finally the computer. It solved that problem, but the fuel milage went down to 200kms a tank on a good week. Just wondering if you guys had any thoughts on why the mileage got worse....could it be that it is running better than before, therefore using more gas....???? Its the only reason I can come up with.

Thanks
Josh
Josh:the pcm you put in it was it a used or new part?was it for the right eng size(5.0or 5.8l)auto or man trans,have you looked at the plugs and wires(you can tell alot about how an eng is running from the plugs.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyx1 View Post
Josh:the pcm you put in it was it a used or new part?was it for the right eng size(5.0or 5.8l)auto or man trans,have you looked at the plugs and wires(you can tell alot about how an eng is running from the plugs.
Well the garage put it in but it was new, and I'm assuming that it was for 5.0L and standard tranny. The plugs, wires and distributor cap have all been replaced in the last 4-5 months. I'll check everything over and see what colour the plugs are.

Thanks
Josh
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Checked the plugs today, they're a brownish tanish colour, normal I think. I'm honestly not shure what else could cause this.

Thanks for any help guys.
Josh
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Garage
How's the ATF level in the tranny? And for the better question which tranny have you got M5R2 or Zf S5-42? If it's the M5R2, how's it shifting? Could it be the input/mainshaft pocket bearing seizing up?

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Well here's the scoop guys.

Honestly not 100% which tranny but it shifts fine, doesn't seem to be acting up.

So I noticed yet another decrease in gas milage so I got off my ass and did some searching. I got the codes from the computer.
31 - PFE,EVP or EVR circuit below minimum voltage.
32 - EVP voltage below closed limit
41 - No HEGO switching detected
41 - HEGO sensor circuit indicates system lean.
42 - HEGO sensor circuit indicates system rich.

So some other symptoms are the engine lopes at idle..exhaust smells very rich..even some black smoke.

My EGR vale has been disconected since I put an exhuast on it...and the issues didn't start until at least 6 months after that...guess it could still be it though. I'm thinking the oxygen sensor is toast..or just acting up because the engine isn't running properly.

Thats all I can think of at the moment..again thanks for the continued help.

Josh

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 AM

Garage
Why is the EGR valve disconnected? A stock computer will need that working in order to measure out fuel according to its programming.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

The vacum lines and electrical is hooked up...the tube just isn't connected to the exhaust pipe. When the exhaust was done they just welded a bolt in to plug it...I always wondered but until recently havent had to much trouble with it. I'll have to talk to these guys and find out why they didn't hook it up.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode