Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Grounds

3K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  kidd 
#1 ·
How many Grounds should there be from the motor to the frame and or to the body, 1994 F150 XLT-5.0-automatic ??

#3 ·
On most Fords there's the one main ground from the battery to the frame to the block/starter. This is more than enough, but there's several other smaller grounds as well for different accessories. Are you having ground issues at all? LR

#4 ·
Shutting Down then Restarts

Having a problem with my MSD when hooked in the truck runs for a while (20-30 min.) then wants to stall or does. Have been driving it then it stalls, have to restart, then the other night going from Windsor to Chatham it shut down then re-started while it was rolling but then I had to pull off at hwy.77 and it was like running on 5 cyl. and check eng. light came on and pushing Black smoke out the pipes. Called the wife for a ride home and while waiting I pulled the battery cable and let sit for 20 or so minutes, then replaced the cable and it started right up hitting on all 8 cyl. so I had the wife follow and I drove it to Chatham and it was running good, but on the trip from Windsor to 77 it hick-uped a few times and wanted to change gears but then switched right back again ??
Seems like I am losing power or the ground and it resets itself and it is more pronounced when the MSD is hooked in the system and if I unplug the adapter harness and go just reg. ignition the problem is not as often or as bad ??

#16 ·
Maybe

I think I may have found my problem, the J3 port where the SuperChip goes took 6 Q-Tips with Contact cleaner on them to get all the black off the brass board contacts. Now both sides are nice and clean and shiny, so I will re-install tomorrow and see what happens, if they were causeing the problem, then that would explain everything, because if that is not working neither is my truck. The truck computer would go into Limp mode like it does, then by resetting the computer (battery disconnect) it would staret all over again, will know tomorrow.

#17 ·
Update

Well new update , took the truck out a few times now and got up to operating temps at least once and had no issues at all yet, so going for a longer ride tomorrow and if still no prob. then will hook the relays back up that control my Nitrous, LineLock and my 3-Step and if all goes well then I will hook the MSD back up, hoping that cleaning thr J3 contacts where the Chip goes is what the problem was.

#22 ·
Well good news so far took the truck out last night and drove around for a few hours and seems to be ok so far going to hook-up the electronics (linelock,3-Step and relays) and go for another ride and see what happens today will post back later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.