NEED HELP: 89 f150 5L 2wd AT - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Cool 89 f150 5L 2wd AT

changed my plugs and one broke off. first time thats ever happened. so now waiting til the stores open to get an ez out, dont know if I should even attempt that trick...
basically it came out without the sleeve...the ceramic was intact as well as the hex fitting, only the sleeve is stuck
I read that you have to make sure its straight when you start to tap...thats about the extent of my knowledge. never one to be afraid of doing things I often break the things I am trying to fix. case in point, my spark plug! next breakage....anything I should be worried about or consider before I attempt this?
The distributor, plugs and wires were in pretty rough shape, most likely from neglect, so I bought new plugs. I used my old wires and cap because I change them once a year on my F350 regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

checked around for some sort of tool that could remove the remainder of the plug, one I would have to hammer in, looks like the easiest thing to do would be to lift the motor a couple inches on that side to be able to hammer it in straight, and be able to actually swing the hammer with any force to be able to make the first bite into the troublesome part. then turn it out with a 3/8 ratchet.
anyone got any better ideas? better tools? suggestions?
anyways going to go look around for "the latest", someone told me that it might just come out because the whole plug came out and its just the sleeve...hopefully hes right. so I am going to spray it down with WD 40 today and maybe tomorrow try and get'er done.
good thing i have a couple more trucks!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 PM

good luck,let us know how it turns out,i've found a square tapered easyout works good because it doesn't put as much side load on the sleeve.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Yup, I checked around. I recall using the tapered screw looking one for some plastic draincock I once broke on a water heater. It wanted to rotate to whatever position the first thread wanted to grab at, because it was screw shaped I had a hard time getting it to go in straight.
Yes, like Shelby said, the square one is what I used after giving it some thought. So after some hammering, some WD 40, and a couple tries, it came out. AWESOME!
After changing the plugs and wires, some of the wires were badly corroded and barely making contact. The plugs must have been in there for a a few years themselves because they all showed signs of rusting. It was missing, quite a bit from time to time, it would stall when you slowed occasionally, and for all this it had some trouble accelerating and it would shift funny.
It's very well behaved now. Took it for a test drive all evening.
Now for the interior light, horn, dash light problem...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM

glad to here the patient survived!

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode