Master Cylinder? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Master Cylinder?

I think my master cylinder failed but I will ask anyway....ABS light flashing and no pedal pressure...no real loss of fluid...pedal was going down about 1/2 way yesterday, but brakes would work ok...this morning, pressure was up, drove home maybe 120 miles, and then pedal was soft again when I went out for some errands...just went in for a few groceries, came out, and the above ABS light was flashing...no pedal pressure so it would not shift out of park...was towed to the garage...tow driver thought he smelled a slight smell of rubber burning...master cylinder?

Is that an expensive repair?...have to wait til Tuesday anyway as it is the holiday weekend...lol... at least it did not fail when I was out in the boonies yesterday; some things that seem bad are not always that bad

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:30 PM

when you say no real loss of fluid,how much?the burning smell you noticed could be the rear wheel cylinders leaking onto the brake shoes.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

loss of fluid, less than an ounce I am guessing....we just replaced all the rear lines and wheel cylinders in February, but we had changed one of the wheel cylinders in May of last year (different garage)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 06:43 PM

if its bad enough you may be able to see it on the plate behind rear wheel, some leakage. usually brakes are minor, usually very simply to change a master cylinder, used from wrecker is usually sufficient.
wouldnt be surprised if it was the rear wheel cylinder even if you had recent work done. I changed my calipers couple times in the last three years, almost as often as i changed the pads, I asked about it at partsource where I bought the parts, they said it was unusual but could just be the city driving. was thinking of actually getting genuine Ford parts for the pain in the butt I had with the rebuilt calipers.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

well, the truck gets only city driving in the November to April period, so you may be on to something...I should here back today as to what the problem is...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

the shop told me that they have to replace some wiring on the master cylinder that had melted, and continue diagnosing from there..
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 02:30 PM

has your truck had the recall for the brake press switch done,your symtoms sound like a leaking switch.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 PM

Not having the recall done would explain the burned wiring, but the loss of pedal, I would think might be a one of the "O" rings in the Master Cylinder leaking.

13.32 @ 99.79mph
60' @ 1.86
Going for High to Mid 12's in 2012

www.kdracingteam.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

it turns out it was that brake switch just mentioned...they called the local Ford dealer for the parts and the service guy told my repair shop all about it being a common problem in the 90's....master cylinder was ok, they said; I probably just hit the pedal a bit hard when I saw the lights flashing on the dash...lol...they installed the brake kit, cleaned up the sensor, added a few connectors, added a new fuse, and all is well again...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode