NEED HELP: Catalytic converters - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Catalytic converters

Alright, so I have question that hopefully someone can answer. My truck is a 1996 F-150 with the 300, L6, 4.9L, standard 2 wheel drive engine. I'm new here and this is my first post, so if there is information about this somewhere else I apologize for the duplication but when I searched I couldn't find anything.

So a little background first. Last summer I took a road trip to Louisiana and downtown New Orleans something blew on my exhaust and it was loud as hellfor the drive home. I took it in to my local garage and he said it was the "Pollution Hose" on the catalytic, but that it's not important so he just plugged it with a bolt and muffler cement and didn't charge me.

Last month, it blew again and so I decided to just fix it right the way it's supposed to be. I started shopping around for converters and picked up a rear one in the with the air hose spout and an air hose kit. Then I found was under it the other day redoing the seal on the oil pan and saw that there are dual converters.

So now my question is, does the front converter have an air hose as well, or is it just the rear? I've looked all over and can't find any information and there is nothing about it in the Haynes book.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Jer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:03 PM

Garage
I had the same setup. Same situation. The aftermarket cats there is only one which is the one you have. You'll end up getting a new Y pipe as well. Might just as well get new oxygen sensors to boot. Yes, it's a Y pipe. 300's have a 2 output exhaust manifold(s). Be prepared to have to either put in new studs or drill out for nuts and bolts. If it's exactly like mine then you'll have to extend the A.I.R. pipe with high temp hose. BTW - Welcome!

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Apprentice

FWIW
the Catalytic that came on my 90 F250 has the same type of deal, someone put a bolt in it and some sort of compound, but the PO also put a large hose clamp around the whole thing where the bolt is.
The truck is a 5.8 truck but sounds like the Cat is the same sort of deal.

just in case you didnt want to monkey with it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 AM

On my old Nissan truck the air injection fitting also rotted off. I simply had a loonie welded over the hole and ripped out the air hose and about 75% of the rest of the rotted out pollution control devices.

Interestingly, it still always passed the annual BC Lower Mainland AirCare checks after that, no problems. Kinda makes you wonder what's going on there?

I think the key is to use a loonie instead of muffler cement. You can probably get them locally for around $1.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
my 96 used to have a 4.9 and a stock exhaust but I don't remember the setup! lol

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the responses. I normally wouldn't concern myself with it, but I had a straight 6 before in my old '87 I used to own and know that those engines last forever. Since this now has only 170k, 40 of which I put on in the last year, i know it still has a lot of life.

I actually picked up the front converter the other day and will be heading to a buddies house next week to use his hoist and just replace them both and do the air hose. Total I've spent for the cats and air hose has just been $190, so that beats the OEM replacement cost of upwards of $600.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
my 4.9 had 240 000 on her and still ran great before I swapped in a 5.0 H.O

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 PM

Garage
I'm at 250000+ and going strong.

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode