E-brake frozen? Cold Temps. - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

E-brake frozen? Cold Temps.

So the other day here in Nova Scotia the temp rose and it rained like crazy for a good 12-15 hours then the temp dropped again. My truck sat through all this stupid weather. When I went to go to work last night, it was approx -15C, the truck wouldn't move after I released the e-brake. I gave it some gas and it still wouldn't move. I tried rocking it gently back and forth but couldn't go too far forward because my deck is in the way.
Is brute force the only way I can 'unstick' the brake or is there another more gentle way of doing it, I can't wait until the weather warms up again.

I read online that using an e-brake in extreme cold temps is not a good idea for this very reason. Its become such a habit though over the years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 06:20 AM

That happened to my ranger a few times. Every time I was able to get it unstuck by putting it in gear and letting off the brake. Be careful with the brute force thing. My bro-in-law had it happen to his f150 and he broke a bunch of hardware for the parking brake. Lucky for him he had just bought the truck and took it back to the dealer and told them to fix it

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

yah i tried some brute force but it would not budge, its stuck... i pulled and pushed on the e-brake cable and it seems to be moving freely but the brake to the left rear wheel is locked solid. so thats just f'in great.... goddamn winter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM

Short of towing it to the ferry and sending it to the Rock about all you can do is pull the wheel and try to get some heat on things. Never use ebrake out here due to this same problem.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

ferry? the rock? why would i send it to newfoundland? lol anyway, i pulled the wheel off, knocked off the drum, adjusted the adjuster and made sure the e-brake cable was moving freely, then lubed everything up and put it back together, it now works perfectly again. no more ebrake for me in the winter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Garage
Glad to hear you got back up and rolling again..... not much you can do when you combine warm temps, moisture and then cold temps.

Somethings gonna freeze, whether it's a lock, a door seal or an emergency brake. lol

Never been a fan of the e-brake at the best of times....seems to be an application better suited for manual transmissions than automatics.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode