NEED HELP: SOHC Driveline swap - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

SOHC Driveline swap

I have the chance to get a 2003 Ranger thats 4X4 and a 5-speed manual at a very low price from my uncle with low mileage on it. Unfortunately that truck itself is not road worthy and only the driveline is still looks like its ok.

I just wanted to know if its possible to do the swap within a reasonable amount of money and what kind of issues I may run across along the way? I want to swap it in a third generation Ranger.

I posted this in another forum, but I thought some people here might give me answers others may not?

Thanks for your time
Matthew.

2006 Mustang GT
Has a few mods..
DD-1996 Buick Regal GS

Last edited by Time2SHO; 03-06-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM

With a complete running, functioning truck and time you could do it

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 AM

If the truck you're swapping into is a 5-speed as well, things will be really easy for you. As long as you have a complete truck, you pretty much just need to swap over the engine, mounts (if needed), transmission (if needed), ECU and associated wiring. It'll be a simple job as long as the two trucks are close in year. If you're swapping into a 93-96, there will be more work involved as you would have a difference between OBD1/2. Also, if you're swapping from auto to manual, there's a bit more involved there, as well.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmar View Post
If the truck you're swapping into is a 5-speed as well, things will be really easy for you. As long as you have a complete truck, you pretty much just need to swap over the engine, mounts (if needed), transmission (if needed), ECU and associated wiring. It'll be a simple job as long as the two trucks are close in year. If you're swapping into a 93-96, there will be more work involved as you would have a difference between OBD1/2. Also, if you're swapping from auto to manual, there's a bit more involved there, as well.
Thanks for the reply, another member on the other forum susggested I do a body swap. I really liked my 3rd gen ranger and hoping the swap wasn't as bad as I found out. But it looks now that it'll be much easier to just put the 3rd gen body onto the 2003 trucks frame(just hoping that the frame is straight). Then just have to remove the old wiring and just replace it with the '03's wiring.

2006 Mustang GT
Has a few mods..
DD-1996 Buick Regal GS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 PM

Sounds like a bucket of fun!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 PM

If it was my time and money I would do a body swap take the cab and box of both trucks then remove the old body mounts and put them on the new frame. I did this with a 1969 body onto a 79 frame at the body shop I worked at. Went really smooth

the only things holding you back are fear and common sense
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
If it was my time and money I would do a body swap take the cab and box of both trucks then remove the old body mounts and put them on the new frame.
It looks like I will be doing the body swap, but I've read that for the third gen body to fit on the '03s frame, I may have to move the mounts themselves, so it will line up correctly.

2006 Mustang GT
Has a few mods..
DD-1996 Buick Regal GS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 10:07 PM

Yes you probably will. If u can put the two frames with the body's off side by side then measure from axel centerline to the old frame mounts then remove them and bolt or weld them on the new frame if you have more questions or need a better description let me know I can do a few drawings and pm them to you

the only things holding you back are fear and common sense

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode