Brake control/Logic wire Q - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Brake control/Logic wire Q

Hey guys, anyone know what the brake logic/brake controller wire off the brake pedal switch does (fuse position 32)? This is on my '09 Ranger FX4.

Had a tech at a local shop vapourize it while hooking up a trailer brake controller, crossed it up with the ground wire for the brake light switch. I had the switch replaced by the dealership, but they quoted us $1500 and a week to tear the dash down and trace the wire, then diagnose and replace what it damaged. I simply can't afford to lose my truck for a week because I need it for work, and so far nothing adverse has shown up. As far as I can tell, its merely a signal wire for the SJB or ECM, which I don't care about enough to pursue it. The owner of the shop obviously is willing to pay for the damages (and did to get the switch replaced), but if its nothing serious them I'm not going to chase it any further.

Any ideas? Cheers

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM

From quickly looking at the factory wiring diagram, it looks like this wire provides a brake position signal to these items:

1. Smart Junction Box sense input
2. Clutch position sense (if it's a manual transmission)
3. 4WD control module
4. Brake shift interlock (looks like it has something to do with the ABS module)
5. Speed control servo
6. PCM
7. ABS module

So it looks like this actually controls some important stuff. Have you tested your cruise control, ABS, and 4WD modes? Is the ABS light coming on?

Going by your description, it's a violet / red stripe wire going between the brake pedal and the fuse. I can't imagine why it would cost $1500 to repair? If it's only that wire which is burnt, they could cut it at both ends and by-pass it with a new piece of wire, couldn't they? That would cost $2.

If the guy just accidentally grounded that wire (and I'm just taking a stab here), the only damage would be to the fuse and the wire itself. But I'd have all the modules tested with a code-reader just to be sure -- that stuff isn't cheap. I bet the guy didn't bother to disconnect the battery before he started working.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
I agree with that, I have the feeling that the tech was a bit clueless.

I disconnected my ABS when it was new cause I despise that crap, I only put the fuse back in when it goes in for its service. Cruise works fine, 4wd works fine.

About the battery, you're right about that. Lets just say that it was his last day there. The owner and I are pretty good friends, but that won't keep me from getting it fixed if something major does come up. BTW, thank you for the info. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode