problem topping up low auto transmission level - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Question problem topping up low auto transmission level

I have a 2011 FX4 Ranger and I noticed after driving my vehicle for slightly over 40 KM that my auto transmission fluid level was just slightly under the lower hatch mark when checked. With the vehicle in Park and engine running I added about 100 ml of tranny fluid. I moved the gear shift through all the positions and then rechecked my level. To my surprize it had not changed and there was no indication of fluid leakage anywhere. I repeated this process 3 more times adding a total of about 400 ml and still the level remained the same. Frustrated, I phoned the dealership to ask him what the heck was happening here. He told me to bring it in and he would check it. After driving it to the dealership, he checked the level and behold it was now significantly higher at the very top of the hatched section. I was scratching my head now? I had put more fluid in than I intended but he felt it was still in an OK range even though it was right at the top mark now. The only thing I can figure is that the truck needs to be driven after adding tranny fluid in order to get a correct level reading. I'm very baffled by this as the manual makes no referance to this requirement. Maybe one of you guys might have some insight as to what is going on here. I'm beginning to feel like I'm in the twilight zone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
When I was working with the mechanics I was always told the vehicle had to be running to check an automatic trans. if i was doing a top up and adding small amounts of oil then after adding oil i had to cycle the trans. Change gears and back to park. Get the oil flowing thru the trans, torque converter and back.

Hope that help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I did have the vehicle running and shifted through the gears after adding the top up tranny fluid. The transmission was also well warmed up after having just driven the vehicle for over 30km. That's what was so weird about this whole experiance. I had to actually drive the vehicle again after adding the top up tranny fluid in order to see the correct level on my dipstick. I'm still shaking my head as to why I would have to do this? Perhaps just shifting through the gears with the parking brake on is not enough. Maybe one needs to actually move the vehicle. I could find nothing in any literature to indicate that this was actually the case.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 AM

Level is supposed to be checked with the transmission hot. It is usually written this way on the stick and in the owners manual.

2009 Ranger Sport 2WD 4.0L/3.55:1/5spd Bone Stock.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode