engine swap - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

engine swap

Hello all.
I have a 2006 ranger RWD with 3.0 Lt engine that I need to replace. I'm having difficulty finding a replacement motor. I found one from a Taurus (don't know what year as yet) but I don't know if it will fit and everything bolt up. I am also wondering if there is a Mazda 3.0 that would fit. I don't mind doing some extra work to get it in...depending on how much work.
I have found one engine in Ont and it has 225K on it.
My only alternative at this point is a full rebuild of my current engine. Doable but too much work and too much money. I want to sell the truck.
Thanx for any help you can offer.
Cheers
J.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 05:23 PM

Check out car-part.com

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Just found out it's a 2001 Taurus if that helps.

Thanx for the link Magoo. I'll check it out

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

After checking the provided link

All the 3.0 Ranger and Mazda B engines I found are well over 200,000 Kms and they want $1000. +.
If I get an engine from a car I can get lower mileage and cheaper but I don't know how much difference there is in the engines. I know the older engines (before 2000) had a different cam but so far that's all I have found out. I don't know about he newer engines.
If the block and heads are the same and all the bolt holes and sensor locations are the same, I can swap the parts over from my old engine.
I don't care so much about the cost but if I'm paying that much I would want something with lower Kms.

Can anyone tell me if the engines are compatible?
Thanx
J.P.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
http://www.ranger-forums.com/2-9l-3-...r-swap-127789/
http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=107245

Edit:
From what I've read.. You'll need your front accessory setup, your wiring harness.. Ranger intake and head gaskets. and it should work..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 02:27 AM

My mom's 2003 Taurus might be coming off the road soon, the place she takes it says its unsafe to drive, needs balljoints, 4 wheel brakesand all fuel and brake lines. it only has around 170,000km on it and she drives like a 77 yr old lady. it is a 3.0 vulcan

they are looking for a replacement vehicle, should know in a week or 2 if it would be available, probably $400 for the motor, I'm going to keep her rims and tires for our 95 taurus wagon if she quits driving it. and I would save some other bits offit too.

she gets it serviced consistently but never oilsprays the car so its suffering from the gravel road calcium chloride summer rot and the salty brine winter rot.

runs mint.
I could probably push the car for 5 more years but hey shes old and wants a newer vehicle. they are looking at cars on Monday.

cheers James

[SIGPIC]
summer: RIP 72 Bronc, 68 Merc,
Daily:94 Exp xlt , Barney the PSD CW
projects: all on hold for now
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Viper.
Thanx for the links. I had already found those as well as a bunch of others. It certainly seems like it's doable but I have also found other threads that say they're not compatible. The big issue seems to be the years. A lot of changes were made over the years so not all 3.0l engines are compatible. Both of those threads deal with older engines going into an even older truck. I'm looking at putting an older engine into a newer truck. My truck is an 06 and I don't know how many changes were made over the years. For example, if it has a distributor, I can't use it. On the newer engines (I don't know what year the change was), In place of the dist. there's a geared shaft that drives the oil pump via the cam shaft. It's the part that the CPS bolts to. The gear on mine is sheared right off so I can't swap it out (that must have been were the problem started). I suppose I could just buy another one but I would need to know if that's the only change made over the years. I have read that a lot of the engines have different cams. Some have VVT and others don't. I honestly don't know if mine does or doesn't.

James. If it will fit, I'm interested. Does it have a distributor?
I have a line on one in London from an 01 Taurus for $150 but after talking to the guy on the phone, I just have a bad feeling about it and I tend to trust my gut.
Keep me posted please. I'll keep researching and anything you can find out about compatibility would be really appreciated.
Post here or email me.
Cheers
J.P.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 PM

I don't have a lot of experience on the Taurus motors after 1995, all mine had distributors.
mom's car is distributorless, I have the feeling they were all that way 96 and up but I'm not 100%

its actually a pretty decent car in my books, and I wouldn't replace any lines until they leak. ( for my own winterbeater use only of course).

they were at Harvey Krotz today when I got to the farm but I don't know if the found anything.

dad was looking at getting her new snow tires for this winter too, so I can see why they want to look for a replacement. add it all up and it goes a long way to getting a new car.

I think they should just go out and buy a new focus, and use the warranty.

i'll keep you posted
cheers James

[SIGPIC]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Just to put this subject to bed...
I picked up a 2006 Taurus 3.0 L with 100,000 K for $400.00. Complete gasket kit just under $300.00. As it turns out, I didn't need to change the head gasket. They must have changed that some time in the 2000s. Could have saved a few bucks but it's too late now.
Anyhow, Hope to get it all buttoned up this weekend thus ending the saga of my 06 Ranger.
Cheers

Edit. Yes I did have to change the head gasket. I thought at first they were the same but there was in fact a closed port in the water jackets. The oil pump is the same but the sump and pan had to be changed. The timing chain cover is the same and I didn't need to change that but I did replace the gasket. The water pump has to be changed and once it's removed there are only two bolts holding the TC cover on so it's not worth chancing a leak. The engine is now home in my shop and I'll drop it in the truck some time this week.
Cheers

Last edited by J.P. (Mount hope); 10-14-2013 at 10:34 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 04:26 AM

sounds like you have it under control

mom's car is still going down the road after I did her rear brakes. has a warped rotor on the front from rear brakes doing nothing.

I picked up a GM winter beater, first GM licenced by me since 1988, but I coudln't resist, coworkers Dad's car from his estate, 1999 Century with only 66,@#$ km. $350 and it runs like a new one, not that I know whata new gm shitbox car runs like but its pretty good..............

I think my collection remainders will be heading north in the next few months anyway. time for a change of location.

oops , highjacking

[SIGPIC]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode