Rust Protection? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Rust Protection?

So what do you guys use?

My dealer recommended I get a sacrificial anode. I had never heard of this, he said he could instal one for me but would probably be cheaper and just as good if I got the Canadian Tire version.

I was just going to get it sprayed but he recommended this, so I bought one on the internet last night for $70 and Red85 installs them for CTC so he will install it for me.

Have any of you ever used one of these? Or what do you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 AM

Are you talking about the electronic system from Rust Stop or similar vendors? I have an electronic system in mine, but since the truck is new I cannot comment on its effectiveness - yet.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, that is it. It will be an interesting experiment if they actually work.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
I was kinda wiery on the whole electronic thing..
I know if you get a good shop that uses good oil it can work out great superior long term results..

as for the electronic device.. I found this review quickly.. but honestly.. Any reviews done on this product are probably invalid unless the customer has had the product for years to test.. Rust takes that long..
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/070221.htm
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:07 AM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
I read somewere that they are usless in 12v car aplacations, you need a consistant high current and a to always be covered in salt for it to really be effective, good for boats and stuff.....I read that in a panflet that was selling one of those devices I think I have it at home I will try to remeber to post it one day.

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 09:20 AM

Ahhh, the debate starts. Check back with me in 5 years to see if it does work although I am a bit of a neat freak when it comes to keeping the truck clean.
I am thinking of getting the truck oiled for next winter...overkill???
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:18 PM

I used Krown on my Mustang,and plan to do the same on my F150 come summer when it's dry.

2008 Oxford White F150 FX2 SPORT Super Crew,5.4L.
2003 Satin Silver Clearcoat Mustang GT,4.6L 2V,5 speed.
stripped,slammed,& cammed!

aka 1LOW03GT
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Garage
The same sort of system has been used for years in the piping industry. An underground steel gas pipe, for example, will corrode due to dissimilar metals (steel pipe and minerals in soil) and the presence of an electrolyte (moisture in soil). Bascially by applying a DC current it reverses the flow of electrons from the pipe to a sacrificial anode (made from a metal less-noble than the steel piping usally magnesium) causing the corrosion to take place at the anode and not the pipe.

I can see, in theory how this work on a vehicle and it is an interesting concept. I too have been looking at installing one on my truck.

Like everyone else says, only time will tell if they actually prolong the life of your truck.

2014 F150 FX4 | SuperCrew | 5.0L | 4x4 | Sterling Grey Metallic
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 PM

I install these where I work and I do the annual inspections. These systems work very well if they're installed when the vehicle is brand new. Any bolts that would basically be frozen in place come apart much more easily. From a mechanic's point of view these things have saved me some headaches. Any job that can be done a little easier means I can get on to the next job quicker and more jobs in a day = more money in my pocket
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by red85 View Post
I install these where I work and I do the annual inspections. These systems work very well if they're installed when the vehicle is brand new. Any bolts that would basically be frozen in place come apart much more easily. From a mechanic's point of view these things have saved me some headaches. Any job that can be done a little easier means I can get on to the next job quicker and more jobs in a day = more money in my pocket
How well would it work on a 3 year old truck.

2005 Ranger 4.0l Auto, 4x4, 4-door, 4.10, Explorer leather seats & Full length console, OHC, Misc other stuff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode