Door Ajar Light Stays On - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Door Ajar Light Stays On

My 2002 Fx4 has been working so good that I have not been checking this site to see what problems others are having.

Today I was coming home from town and my door ajar light is lit on the dash. I got out and made sure all four doors are closing tightly . I searched in vain for little spring loaded switches like I have had on other older vehicles .
Where are the sensors or switches or whatever they are using to make that light come on and go off when the doors are closed. ?
W.Y.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
Spray WD40 really good in all the latches in your doors easy fix worked for mine and tonnes of other trucks.

The sensors sould be in the crack when you open the door close to your dash or it's in the latch you need to WD, but do the WD thing on the door latches it should work

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!

Last edited by Bush_aholic; 04-13-2008 at 09:51 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Here is a pic of the latch just to be clear, FYI that's not rust the flash blured a bit, and some of it's mud

[/IMG]

Last edited by Bush_aholic; 04-13-2008 at 09:52 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
I have already sprayed the two latches on the middle of the door like you showed and also the two latches at the top of the rear doors . That didn't help at all.

Quote:
The sensors sould be in the crack when you open the door close to your dash or it's in the latch you need to WD, but do the WD thing on the door latches it should work
I had no idea that the sensors could be in the crack when you open the door close to the dash . Did they put some there as well as on the other end of the door on the latches ? I will try spraying in from near the dash side tomorrow and see if that might work.
W.Y.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 PM

Ya I think it's the door latches that have the sensor...Too bad the WD diden't work I was shure it was that cause it's a very comon probleme, did you use the little red stick pipe extention thing(lol) and spary really good everywere inside the latch and open and close the doors a bunch of times and re-spary and so on...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Yes Bush, I did it exactly as you have explained.
It was late in the day and hopefully it will penetrate in by tomorrow.
If it doesn't, I heard in another site that spraying brake parts cleaner in there followed by WD-40 might work before considering replacing the sensors .
If I can't fix it externally I will probably just put a piece of black tape over the light on the dash so I dont see it . To replace a sensor would mean removing a door panel . . . but which one . ? There are four doors and probably four sensors . Process of elimination one at a time or just replace them all ? Sound expensive and time consuming for the sake of a little light showing on the dash . If there was a fuse to control just that I would remove it but the same fuse might control other usefull items so that is probably not a good idea.
W.Y.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:48 AM

if you really want a cheap fix and don't care about your light turning on when you open the door you can always cut the wires, there is a rubber grommet that goes from the inside to the door by the dash(were I said the sensor could be at first) Pull that off to expose wires inside, I did this to my old F350 WD woulden't fix the prob so I cut all the wires and hooked back up the speaker wires(or don't cut the speaker wires) that fixed it....lol gotta love a farmers job you can do that to figure out wich door it is too. If you have power locks there is probly a wire in there for that too the 350 was manual

Warning !!!!! not much room to work with if you want to reconnect the wires I had to make little extensions....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode