Limited Slip - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Limited Slip

Hey guys, I was interested in getting a Detroit true trac for the front,and the guy from Eaton said they don't make one for the stock Ranger Sport front. He also said he didn't think that anyone made an aftermarket one.

Does anyone know if there is one that fits into the stock front?

I don't want to change the whole axle, carrier setup to get one, I was hoping there was a posi unit that could be slipped right in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM

The only LSD that is available for the front of the IFS Rangers is the Auburn ECTED. Torsen has one in pre-production with a target for availability of this summer, but expect delays on that.

Reviews on the ECTED are mixed, so I'm waiting for the Torsen.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

What are the negatives about the Auburn? Usually their products are top notch. I have a Pro-Race posi in my Mustang and has been great.

Thanks for the info! It is a great help.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Well I emailed Torsen asking about the Limited Slip and here is their response.

C/P

We were supposed to release the unit one year ago but unfortunately that had been postponed due to material and manufacturing problems. We are trying for a release this summer. We have yet to get interest from our Distributors to carry these units and unless they place orders, we will not manufacturer small quantity runs. If we did manufacture in small quantities, the end cost to you would be astronomical!

Thanks for the question and interest in Torsen.

End C/P

So it doesn't look promising. :icon_sad:
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 PM

When I asked for opinions of the ECTED on another site, I received the following "private" opinion from an employee of a large driveline service company:

"Regarding the Ected, the main differences between the Ected and all other selectable, is the way it locks and the fact that it starts as a clutch driven LSD instead of open. The Ected locks through the clutches instead of by any type of gear lock up. This method allows slippage if the clutch pack is overloaded. Overloading is possible with deep gear reduction, large tires and extreme grade with high traction. The Ected unit can and will slip when 'locked'. We've had quite a bit of feedback from users about this and I've even seen it myself. This slippage can become more frequent as the clutches wear. The other issue of concern is the amount of axle spline used when in the unlocked position. One of the side gears is a 2 piece design. In the unlocked mode, the axle is being driven by about 9/16" of axle spline. I've seen 2 cases personally where the end of the axle splines have stripped. I'm sure there are some applications where these issues will not have any effect on the use of the product or the longevity of the application. My concerns are about durability in vehicles with oversize tires that see aggressive off road use."

This was enough to turn me off the ECTED. The same guy also throughly investigated the possibilities of modifying a rear D35 TrueTrac to work in the front. However, this could only work on the older TTB Rangers. We're hooped because of the CV joints.

Regarding the Torsen, I know a number of people have contacted Torsen directly regarding the IFS D35. However, I'm not sure if the same people have contacted the distributors. I know I haven't. So maybe that would help. Of course, one of the few distributors for Torsen is Ford Racing. Maybe the dealerships that offer upgrade packages could ask Racing to make such a part available (hint, hint).

'04 Ranger FX4 Level II
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

One would think that with such a good selling truck that there would be more options available.

I was reading up on the ECTED at other sites and the slipping seems to be a factor under heavy load. A few have said they haven't had problems but I could see what that guy told you about the longer it being in there the more prone it would be to slip.

Hopefully the distributors start stocking these.

I also sent a message to Auburn asking if there was something other than the ECTED available or if they plan on making a "real" posi unit for us. I doubt it but, hey it doesn't hurt to ask.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post
One would think that with such a good selling truck that there would be more options available.
Yeah, and don't forget all the Exploders - they use the same setup. And, anything that works for the SLA Rangers will also work in the TTB's.

But it doesn't sound hopeless yet for the Torsen. Check out this thread...
http://www.offroadrangers.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28774

'04 Ranger FX4 Level II
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

That thread looks very promising.

The email in that thread is pretty much the same one I received, but I don't think the distibutors would have any problem unloading these units once the public was made aware that they were available.

It looks like there is a little light at the end of the tunnel.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Well I got a response from Auburn as to if they had a LS or had one in the works. In the email I asked if they had anythin other than the ECTED.
Here is what they said as a copy paste.

C/P

Matt,

Limited slip differential are not recommended for 4 X 4 front axle. A limited slip will effect your steering. The ACTED Ford 8.8 is your best choice.

End C/P

He says a LS is not recommended yet put an ECTED in (which he refers to as an ACTED mind you), which can lock up the front like a spool if you flick the switch. Maybe it is just me, but I am wondering who they have working at Auburn.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty View Post

... The ACTED Ford 8.8 is your best choice.
And you did say Ranger, right?

Okay then, one more reason I won't buy an Auburn.

'04 Ranger FX4 Level II

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode