Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Cold start problem

NEED HELP: 
2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Destructicon 
#1 ·
Hi guys. It's been quite a while since I've visited here.
I have an annoying problem I can't track down. 3L, 2007 Ranger. Just turned 100K. When the temps dip below 0 C, the engine will crank but won't start. I found out, by accident, if I cycle the key on and off several times, it fires right up and it's fine until parked for several hours below 0 again. The first time it happened, I suspected the fuel pump and cycled the key on and off, listening for the pump. Then it started. The check engine light is not coming on and there are no error codes recorded.

I don't have the time to try and track this down myself so I took it to my mechanic. He checked the fuel pressure (it's fine), replaced the fuel filter and replaced the hi idle motor (a guess). It was fine until the next morning when it wouldn't start again. He suggested replacing the coil and wires (original). I have a spare coil pack so that's the plan right now.

It's possible there's a hairline crack in the coil that's breaking contact when cold, but the lack of error code has us both questioning that.

Anyone have any suggestion what else we could look at?
Cheers
J.P.

See less See more
#2 ·
Entirely possible. I had a Mercedes that would do the exact opposite. When the car warmed up the coil would over heat and kill the engine. New expensive coil solved that.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
That actually makes more sense. Everything expands when it heats up. Ive had similar problems with other vehicles in the past.
Unfortunately, it was -7 today and she fired up without issue every time. Unfortunate because if it's not acting up, it's that much harder to track down.
One other symptom that may or may not be related. Two or three times over the past year, I'd be cruising along and the engine would just cut out for about a second then would be fine for months.

It goes in next week to get the coil and wires changed out. I guess I'll see what happens after that.

J.P.

#4 ·
Another thought just came to mind. Have you checked the oil for gasoline content? Another thought is intermittent ignition switch or a relay could have dirty contacts. From what you're describing, I would check some relays first.

#6 ·
No resolution yet.
Last week the no start became random. Hot or cold didn't matter. For the last few days it would start fine when cold...and it's been pretty cold, but then it was giving me trouble when it was warm. Strange.
I dropped it off with my mechanic this morning. He's going to replace the coil and plug wires as well as any relays associated with the engine starting/running. Hopefully that will take care of it.
I'll update this thread with the results as soon as I have more info.
Cheers
J.P.

#7 ·
One last thought is the roll over switch, if it has one.

#8 ·
Just got the truck back. This time when they put it on the scanner, three codes showed up. All three indicated the ECU needed to be re-flashed and updated. All three problems related to intermittent no starts. No parts were changed. We'll see how things go from here.
Nice thing is he didn't charge me labour for replacing the fuel filter or the high idle motor.
Cheers. Thanks for the help.
J.P.

#10 ·
You're Welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.