The Ugly AM/FM Stock Radio - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

The Ugly AM/FM Stock Radio

If you have a Ford made the last four years or so, you no doubt dislike the appearance of the radio. It's bland. It's not truly functional. It's ugly. Actually, it Fugly. Ukklin' fugly. The display is also difficult to read - especially if you're wearing sunglasses. It's too small.

When I sold my old truck, the guy that bought it decided to put in a "cool" radio, amplifier and speakers ('tis a regular cab!) I believe that his hearing will be gone shortly. Anyway, he gave me my old radio, saying that he was only going to throw it away.

Fabulous. As radios go, it's nicer to look at and has a larger display. It also has a CD player. (When I bought the new Ranger, it came with an AM/FM only stereo.)

The fact is, it's so ugly that you cannot find a picture of one on the 'Nets. The last person to look at one directly turned into a pillar of sh!t...er salt!

Go to a wrecker and get an AM/FM from a 2000 or newer ford of any stripe. They all connect using the same plugs, mounting system and are the same size to boot.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:33 PM

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to mitchbtu
My Ranger originally had only the stock am/fm radio, not even a tape deck... I changed it with the stock am/fm cass/cd radio from a 99 Windstar... It was completely plug and play...Now Im alot happier....

99 Ford Ranger X-Cab 4x4. 3L V6. 5 Spd.. Mods -Michelin 31x10.5x15 XRadial Tires, Proformance Venom II Chip, Cold Air Intake, Window Visors, Euro Marker and Tail Lights, LED Front Corners, 05 Ranger Side Mirrors, 6000k HID Headlamps, Stock Cass/CD Stereo(taken from a Windstar), Interior Dome/Map(taken from a Taurus), White/Blue Glow Instruments, Stainless Steel Bezel...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

That's great, isn't it? Went in slicker than snot. I used a couple of 8 inch pieces of coat hangar bent into a U shape to make the extraction tool.

I'm betting that Ford made these radios butt ugly like that so thieves wouldn't bother with them. They are so easy to pop out of the dash, and with no extraction damage either.

Steve :icon_smile:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode