front end noise help - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

front end noise help

hi ranger fans.i have a question and hope someone can help.I have an 07 ranger fx4 L11.When im going down the street i can hear a noise reflecting off the curb.It sounds like uni joints but im not sure.they seem to be solid.The front drive shaft seems to have a lot of play when i try to spin it by hand. Is this normal?By hand i think it sounds like a loose chain inside the transfer case.Im not up on 4x4 mechanics so im not even sure if there is a chain in there.Also a nasty jolting sound when medium to hard breaking and i hit cracks in the road at low speed. Dont know if the two are related.I have four wheeled my truck a few times but never really beat on it hard, you know water holes and mud holes but no real climbing or hi speed trail flogging.
I have a little mechanical knowledge(sometimes a dangerous thing)so i can check or do anything anyone suggests.Any takers?All responses are appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:23 PM

No chain inside the Transfer case. Just gears. Does your 4X4 still work properly?

2009 F150 XLT 4X4 5.4 / 2" Autospring Lift / 275/65R20 BFG All Terrains (34.1)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks for the reply cooker.Yes 4 wd still wokks but it makes a sound like uni joints crunching.i haven't put it in 4 by since then (about 2 weeks ago).At the time i was going up a sand gravel type bank and could hear a clicking sound so i backed down,called it a short day and went home.i can hear the sound reflecting in 2wd but in 4 hi and low i can hear it through the body of the truck.Dont know if that sheds any light.Any help is apprciated.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to mitchbtu
I would take it in and get it checked, go for the free estimate thing and always get a 2nd and 3rd opinion...

99 Ford Ranger X-Cab 4x4. 3L V6. 5 Spd.. Mods -Michelin 31x10.5x15 XRadial Tires, Proformance Venom II Chip, Cold Air Intake, Window Visors, Euro Marker and Tail Lights, LED Front Corners, 05 Ranger Side Mirrors, 6000k HID Headlamps, Stock Cass/CD Stereo(taken from a Windstar), Interior Dome/Map(taken from a Taurus), White/Blue Glow Instruments, Stainless Steel Bezel...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:58 PM

Should still be under warranty as well

2009 F150 XLT 4X4 5.4 / 2" Autospring Lift / 275/65R20 BFG All Terrains (34.1)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Ok.Thanks for the opinion.I guess i kinda knew i was gonna have to take it in.I hate the dealerships though.In some cases i would rather pay for something myself than deal with them.With my o3 edge i had to wait 4 weeks for a drive shaft(unis gone,driveshaft thump.I thought it was to be replaced with aluminum,that didn't happen),only to take time off work for them to have ordered the wrong driveshaft.4 weeks later another day off work.5 months later i got 2 new unis at a master mechanic on my rusty supposedly aluminum driveshaft.Still had ds thump.6 months later 1 new uni.And while this was going on i was trying to deal with a squeal on the front of the motor.The squeal finally got fixed after they replaced (one at a time i might add) every pulley on the friggin motor.Covered under waranty?Yes.Time lost at work?7 days.Almost 2 grand$.I should have bit the bullet and bought the most exspensive pulley myself off the hop.I would have saved about 1700$.But enough of my rant.I love my ranger(this is number 4 i might add) and wouldn't trade it for anything excepting another ranger.I own a mini cooper s and i prefer to drive my ranger.Less speeding tickets. Again thanks for your help cooker. This site rocks.

Mud

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode