Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Oil Filter Housing

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  PMarch 
#1 ·
Heya folks

2 days ago I went to a quick lube place to get my oil changed.
Today.. I noticed that my truck was leaking oil in my driveway.
I checked and it seemed it was coming from the oil filter.
So I went back to that quick lube place and they cleaned everything and changed the oil filter.
but before they finished they showed me the housing where the oil filter screws in.
Where the rubber from the oil filter is making a seal. There is a hole on the ledge about 1/8 big..
So the people at the quick lube thinks that it is because of that that I am leakign oil...

Anyone knows anything about this. ????

Its a ford ranger 1998 with a V6 3.0L extanded cab 2X4

They did replace the oil filter but I cannot be sure it is not leaking anymore as there was so much oil around that it is I think dropping the last few drops that were around.

Thanks

Cheers

Paul

See less See more
#4 ·
i'm wondering if that hole even has anything to d o with the leak. did the lube guys not notice the original filter's gasket maybe stayed on the housing. and when they installed the new filter, you would have had a double o-ring then. that'll cause a leak. since the new filter the leaks appears to have stopped. souds like they goofed up and didn't want to tell you. just a thought.

#7 ·
Well... I have taken the truck around for a drive. Everywhere I stopped a few drops of oil went down... so when I got back home. I got the hose out and power spray everywhere I could to get as much oil out.
I have also taken an appointment at the garage so they take a look at it. But it wont be until Monday at 1 pm... so not sure until now.
Later on when its all dry under. I will take the truck out for another drive and see if it still leaks.. if it does..I will leave it parked until monday

Thanks

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.