Head Gasket on an 07?? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Head Gasket on an 07??

I just got home from the dealer. My truck has not been blowing hot air for a few days now, and the coolant resevoir was empty. The cooling system holds pressure, but the rad only had half capacity in it. They think my head gasket is gone. I have to drive it for a week and take it back for further testing. I didn't think that the newer 4.0's had head issues, I thought it was the late OHV's. I'm really quite frustrated....

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 05:44 PM

haven't seen headgasket concerns on these,have seen coldsoak rad leaks from side tanks,(will only leak cold while sitting)

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyx1 View Post
haven't seen headgasket concerns on these,have seen coldsoak rad leaks from side tanks,(will only leak cold while sitting)
Thats interesting. It has been sitting more and more these days, now that I carpool to work. I think it's time for a SCREW.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE

I took the truck back to the dealer this morning. It turns out that the water pump was the culprit. GRR..... But it's getting fixed as we speak on fords tab. I should have it back tonight. Maybe the mileage will be better now

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07rangersport View Post
I just got home from the dealer. My truck has not been blowing hot air for a few days now, and the coolant resevoir was empty. The cooling system holds pressure, but the rad only had half capacity in it. They think my head gasket is gone. I have to drive it for a week and take it back for further testing. I didn't think that the newer 4.0's had head issues, I thought it was the late OHV's. I'm really quite frustrated....

did they even check to see if it was internal ? ie a pressure bleeddown ? filling it up and telling you to wait a week isnt good lol by that time the bottom end would be shot if there was coolent in the oil and all theyd replace is the headgasket

glad its just the waterpump tho could have been worse
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinHp View Post
did they even check to see if it was internal ? ie a pressure bleeddown ? filling it up and telling you to wait a week isnt good lol by that time the bottom end would be shot if there was coolent in the oil and all theyd replace is the headgasket

glad its just the waterpump tho could have been worse
When they told me to drive it for a week I kinda hoped that the engine would blow up. Literally. I am still concerned about the internals with the possibility of overheating, It was driven for about 3 weeks with a shot water pump, well actually the seal was gone and coolant was coming out there. I hope I don't have anymore issues for a bit. Actually never.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM

If there was coolant in your truck, you will be fine, especially if your engine never overheated.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 05:11 PM

hmmm, sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is the first time i've heard of another 07 with a screwed pump.

when i did my oil change around 60 000 i noticed my overflow empty, and the rad took a bit of coolant to top off too. i didn't see any leaks so i didn't think much of it. just the other day i did my oil change at 68 000, and again the reservoir had dropped. when it was up on the hoist i spotted the stains underneath the water pump : / .... i didn't pressure test the thing as i didn't want to risk blowing it even more.

68 000 kms and this will be its first repair though, so no huge worries. but still, it seems early for a WP to go. $70 for the part and a bit more for the coolant, so all in all it'll only cost me an hour of my time and about a hundred bucks. not too bad i guess.

2003 GMC Sierra 3500 -- dually, 4x4, hasn't blown up yet and that's what i look for in a truck

Ford Doctor -- They come in broken and leave fixed. Ford of Canada Master Tech
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsity Tyler View Post
hmmm, sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is the first time i've heard of another 07 with a screwed pump.

when i did my oil change around 60 000 i noticed my overflow empty, and the rad took a bit of coolant to top off too. i didn't see any leaks so i didn't think much of it. just the other day i did my oil change at 68 000, and again the reservoir had dropped. when it was up on the hoist i spotted the stains underneath the water pump : / .... i didn't pressure test the thing as i didn't want to risk blowing it even more.

68 000 kms and this will be its first repair though, so no huge worries. but still, it seems early for a WP to go. $70 for the part and a bit more for the coolant, so all in all it'll only cost me an hour of my time and about a hundred bucks. not too bad i guess.
Wow your 07 has 68000 km on it???

2009 F150 XLT 4X4 5.4 / 2" Autospring Lift / 275/65R20 BFG All Terrains (34.1)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooker View Post
Wow your 07 has 68000 km on it???
haha, yeah. before i moved into the city i was commuting from hockley to toronto daily for work (about 60 km each way). then there's trips to the hunt camp around bancroft year-round, trips to ottawa, and just last month a 4200 km trip to Florida.

they're meant to be driven, right? by the time i pay it off the thing will have 4 or 5 hundred k on it lol

2003 GMC Sierra 3500 -- dually, 4x4, hasn't blown up yet and that's what i look for in a truck

Ford Doctor -- They come in broken and leave fixed. Ford of Canada Master Tech

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode