Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Finished my first mod! 60/40 to bucket conversion

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Lone Ranger 
#1 ·
FINALLY! Only took 2+ months of owning it. :icon_lol:

I completed the 60/40 bucket conversion mod yesterday. :icon_biggrin:

I'll post up the pics first since I KNOW that you will only scroll down to look at them anyway. Nice guy I am, huh?!??!? :icon_razz:

Apologies for the poor quality, but it's night time and i'm only using my P&S, not my tank camera, so that's what I got.

I've been living with the "mistake" of buying a regular cab and since I don't have a utility box of any kind in the back yet some things need to be crammed into the cab to transport. Now that i've completed the mod I have more room inside to put stuff.

Currently I have no intentions to put a console in place, but this may or may not change when I finally get a utility/toolbox in the back, dunno yet. It was a simple, FUH-REE mod that took me a couple of hours (lots of cleaning under the seat and previous owners' change to count :icon_lol: ). I'm happy with the results.

I also don't know if i'll put the armrest back in place or not. I'll see what happens with time and play it by ear, so to speak.

So yeah, there you go, all done. I'm a happy camper. More to come. I'll now be starting a project thread here starting with this mod since i've finally done it.

Thanks.
Andrew

See less See more
#3 ·
I cut it. Apparently I did such a good job you can't tell. ;) Thanks for the compliment!

I wanted to take pics, but my camera wasn't handy during the operation. :(

#6 ·
Exactly, the "center section", if you will. It's popular amongst modders like myself that don't want to spend money purchasing other seats.

This mod just needs some basic tools and time (10 mm socket, extension, ratchet, T-50 torx bit, hacksaw, exacto/utility knife and scissors).

#8 ·
No, I am still kicking myself for not having my camera handy and clicking. I'm usually pretty good about that type of thing, but this time I dropped the ball. :(

I'll work on something though, I promise. I need to go back in for another mod to the driver's seat, requiring it's removal. Give me a week or so and if the weather co-operates i'll post something. :) Maybe even tomorrow (Tuesday) if it's not too wet outside.

Always easier to take pics when everything is done anyway. Like on the cooking shows :icon_lol: Put the turkey in the oven and then take out the finished one and the show goes on. :icon_lol:

Now I gotta work on those plastic seatbelt holder thingys. Screwed them up.

#9 ·
I did the same thing to my 95 after trying a pair of Mustang seats. You remove the seat, take the seat back off then disassemble the seat cushion. Then I took a hack saw to the extra bit on the seat frame to remove it. Smoothed out the rough bits with an angle grinder so the seat cover wouldn't get ripped after that. I got a sharp knife to trim the foam to fit. Put the cushion back together and sewed up the left over material to fit better (doesn't look as good as the one pictured but it was my first time sewing anything!). Removed the old arm rest and reassembled the seat then put it back in the truck. I had an old Igloo brand plastic console that fits perfectly between the seats and gives me more storage too! If you don't use the middle spot in your seats at all I think this is a great mod. Took me about 2-3 hours at most.

#10 ·
Hey slim.

If you don't mind mesuring how much space there is now between the two seats. i'm thinking of doing a center console enclosure for some 8INCH subs in my reg cab ranger. and i'm thinking of swaping out for bucket seats, i'm not sure. i'm not really enjoying the stock seats either.

#11 ·
Many apologies for the wait and absence as of late! Been busy moving.

I measured the opening between the seats and it's 10". Please keep in mind that this distance will vary depending on things like condition of seats (foam and brackets) and how much of the foam you actually cut out.

Also keep in mind that if you want/need a little more room you can also remove the cover from the passenger seat and trim some foam from the edge of that seat too! ;) (I did not do this and have no plans to)

Please feel free to post a link here in this thread to a new thread you start to share what you do. :)

#13 ·
Nice job! Best mod you can do to get rid of those damn split benches. I simply tossed mine (they were TOAST) and swapped in a set of buckets from a mid-80s Lincoln I believe. I've had them for years and have seen duty in almost every truck I've owned. Here's a quick pic and sorry for the hijack!! (BTW, all I did was since the tracks wouldn't swap, only one bolt would match up so I bolted it on to hold the track in place then welded the seat frame to the tracks. Worked mint. I installed a chopped down 1942 claymore mine can for a center console)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.