2010 Ranger - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

2010 Ranger

So I happened to notice a Ranger sitting on a local lot today with "2010" stickers on the side. Granted, I was driving by and couldn't stop and look, but I didn't notice anything significantly different.

Since I'm curious, does anyone know of the major/minor changes to the new model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:06 PM

Supposedly the 2010's are available with "Advance Trac RSC" -- some sort electronic stability control system which they've had on Explorers for years. Also side air-bags.
Meh. Basically safety stuff. IMO just jacks up the price without actually improving anything interesting like the engine or suspension.

I looked at the Ford.ca website. The first page mentions the Advance Trac, but if you go into details, it only lists the specs for 2009's.

Here's an article on Jalopnik:
http://jalopnik.com/5147588/2010-for...bility-control

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:27 AM

Rumour also has it they are getting rear disk brakes(glad I bought an '09 in if this is true).

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Storm View Post
Rumour also has it they are getting rear disk brakes(glad I bought an '09 in if this is true).
Yeah, I think this is how they're slowly going to kill the Ranger. Bloat it up with all sorts of useless stuff so that it will make more sense just to buy an F-150.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post
Yeah, I think this is how they're slowly going to kill the Ranger. Bloat it up with all sorts of useless stuff so that it will make more sense just to buy an F-150.
I am holding out for the heated/chilled cup holder

2014 F150 FX4 | SuperCrew | 5.0L | 4x4 | Sterling Grey Metallic
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Storm View Post
Actually, that makes a lot of sense given the above rumour of a stability control system. All of those systems work with a combination of individual wheels sensors, steering wheels position sensors and some others to keep your truck ont he straight and narrow via the ABS pump. I've never seen a vehicle with stability control which didn't have four wheel discs.

All the same, I like my truck because it's (relatively) basic. Actually scratch that, I love my truck because it's basic. It's nice and simple safety wise - only a couple airbags with a pass. seat weight and position sensor (I miss the turn key switch), and ABS for when you're on the slippy stuff. To drive it safely you actually need to know how to do so ; )

2003 GMC Sierra 3500 -- dually, 4x4, hasn't blown up yet and that's what i look for in a truck

Ford Doctor -- They come in broken and leave fixed. Ford of Canada Master Tech
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRanger View Post
I am holding out for the heated/chilled cup holder
Just one? Or all SIX that we already have? Gee, I'd settle for a cup holder that didn't interfere with the gear shift when I actually have a, y'know ... mug of coffee in it -- but then, that's part of the charm.

I think a lot of us would agree with what Tyler says. That's probably the reason most of us like this truck. For the money, nothing else in it's class touches it. In fact, that class of truck really doesn't exist anymore, except for the Ranger. Sure they can make a very slightly better small size truck. They're called Tacomas and Frontiers, and they only cost as much as an F-150. Besides, if you want an over-priced Ranger with lots of stupid accessories, there's always the Sport Trac.

I hope someone at Ford is reading this.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks b4000, that's pretty much what I thought. I'd looked at Ford's site as well, they need to update the specs to reflect the actual model year they're selling, not carry over last year's specs despite the fact they've changed.

Off topic, but did Ford develop RSC in response to the small rollover "problem" they had with the Explorer? LOL

I might have to sneak onto a dealer lot to see if the rear brakes are discs.

Like everyone eluded to, the truck for the money is just about right. I wouldn't go back to a full size or another brand for any reason.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I'd looked at Ford's site as well, they need to update the specs to reflect the actual model year they're selling, not carry over last year's specs despite the fact they've changed.
I'd guess it has as much to do with the fact that they probably have a lot of stock of '09s sitting on lots that they want to sell first.

Quote:
Off topic, but did Ford develop RSC in response to the small rollover "problem" they had with the Explorer? LOL
Heh. Maybe? Although, as with Suzuki Samurais or Jeep CJs, I don't think any gadget will make a stupid driver realize that they're not driving an RX7. Any truck I've ever driven with stability control really thwarted me driving off-road. When you go into a snow-filled ditch or deep mud, it doesn't allow you to spin the wheels like mad -- which is exactly what you need! Eventually, even an idiot like me realized you can actually switch that crap off. Maybe that's why they also have OnStar? (not that you'll actually have coverage out in the bush).

Like TPMS, these things are just a fig-leaf that give people a false sense of security, instead learning how to handle their machinery properly in the first place.

Quote:
Like everyone eluded to, the truck for the money is just about right. I wouldn't go back to a full size or another brand for any reason.
Yeah, people can complain all they want about the design being "outdated", but the advantage to that is they can actually work out most of the bugs. That's a pretty good trade-off to me. You really have to make an extra effort to break a Ranger.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM

I just ordered a 2010 XL with the 2.3 and automatic. Pretty basic truck, but it do what I want. It comes standard with the side airbags, stability control, PATS antitheft and TPMS. The stability control will be standard for all makes for 2012 I think due to the government saying it has to be there. No mention of rear disk brakes at all. One thing I was disappointed in was you can't order a limited slip diff at all.

1968 F100 428
2010 Ranger Xl 2.3
2008 Edge

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode