'88 Ranger XLT 2.9L-FI 4X4 FWH - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Exclamation '88 Ranger XLT 2.9L-FI 4X4 FWH

[B]1988 Ranger XLT 2.9L-FI 4X4 FLH [Front Locking Hubs]

I need to know if it's possible to adjust the timing / idling on my Ranger,

as it 'IDLES' fine when I first start-up - although as it heats up in traffic and I

come to a stop ... my RPM begins to drop between 700-800 RPM ... at times

feels like it wants to stall-out ... any ideas on how to rectify the issue?

Some people say it's not possible [computer-controlled] others tell me it is

possible with timing light ... need some help here!

Awaiting ALL input

Thanks

glassman

Last edited by glassman08; 01-22-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 02:10 PM

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...unz_Korner.htm

How to Time TFI Fords (most 86 and up Fords with distributors)

Posted by Pat Kunz on April 21, 1998 at 13:09:12:

This problem keeps on popping up now and then so I thought that I would put up this procedure for all to see. In order to time a TFI Ford you must first get the engine warm enough that it idles at the correct rpm. Next turn the engine off and look for the spout connector, It's got two wires going into it from the bottom and has a removable pill that kinda has a mushroom shape to it, it will be located normally somewhere around the distributor. Remove this pill, and place it somewhere where it won't get lost. Restart the engine and with a timing light adjust the distributor to the proper advance stated on the emissions label, usually 10 degrees advance on most Fords. After you got the timing set, snug down the distributor and restart and double check that the timing stayed where it was supposed to. turn off engine, and place pill back in spout connector. Restart engine, the timing should now be quite a bit higher than ten but this is normal, give the engine a little throttle and check to see if the computer is advancing the timing, if it is everything is fine and your done.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 02:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
if it's an auto tranny check the fluid level. If it's low the torque convertor might not be getting enough fluid to release from lock up

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 03:38 PM

when i did that on a 3l engine i found when i reinstalled that spout connector the timing just went back to what it was before. but that i might have did something wrong or not but that was just on a test engine in class could not really test drive it or anything
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
the spout connectors purpose is to retard the timing. Example on a 5.O you set the timing to 10degrees advanced and when the connector is installed it reads 6degrees on the timing light

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Smile THANKS

THANKS FOR THE INFO

glassman

How to Time TFI Fords (most 86 and up Fords with distributors)

Posted by Pat Kunz on April 21, 1998 at 13:09:12:

This problem keeps on popping up now and then so I thought that I would put up this procedure for all to see. In order to time a TFI Ford you must first get the engine warm enough that it idles at the correct rpm. Next turn the engine off and look for the spout connector, It's got two wires going into it from the bottom and has a removable pill that kinda has a mushroom shape to it, it will be located normally somewhere around the distributor. Remove this pill, and place it somewhere where it won't get lost. Restart the engine and with a timing light adjust the distributor to the proper advance stated on the emissions label, usually 10 degrees advance on most Fords. After you got the timing set, snug down the distributor and restart and double check that the timing stayed where it was supposed to. turn off engine, and place pill back in spout connector. Restart engine, the timing should now be quite a bit higher than ten but this is normal, give the engine a little throttle and check to see if the computer is advancing the timing, if it is everything is fine and your done.[/QUOTE]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode