NEED HELP: What tires will fit 2010 sport 4x4? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

What tires will fit 2010 sport 4x4?

I'm getting ready to purchase some new rubber for the coming fall and winter, just wondering what will fit without having to lift it?
Stock size is 255/70/16

Thanks for the help!!

-Mad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Can squeeze 285/75/16s on with lift shackles in the rear and torsion bar crank in the front.

Stock, 235/85/16 or 265/75/16s probably with a little bit of rubbing. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 AM

If you want winter tires then wider is not better. Narrower cuts through the snow better. Stick with stock height and go with a 225ish series. JMO.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Thanks guys,
I'm just looking for a tire that is good in the mud(nothing to serious), yet will still be good for the wet/snow covered roads here in Alberta.

Whats everyone think Nokian Vativa M/Ts, and Goodyear DuraTracs?

Also, anyone running ten-plys on their 4.0L Rangers? Any down sides, beside the worse milage?

Thanks
-Mad
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:11 PM

What makes a good mud tire is sort of the opposite of what makes a good winter tire. And like Matty said, don't go too wide for a winter tire.

I've got a set of Cooper Discoverer S/T for my truck. I went slightly oversize with a 31x10.5R15, which is pretty common for Jeeps. At that size they are referred to as a "flotation" tire, which they really are. Fantastic on mud and loose snow, and pretty much everything else -- *except* black ice or regular ice. Then they get pretty spooky.

Yet the exact same model of tire on my Chev 1/2 ton work truck was just fine in winter. I think the main difference was that the Chev is much more heavily loaded so the weight/tire footprint ratio was better matched. The Ranger is a much lighter vehicle, so for winter tires you'd really need to cut down on footprint size to avoid becoming an unguided tobaggan.

I just use the stock Goodyears, which I got siped, in the winter. Better than nothing for now. When they go, I'll get some Blizzaks or something.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
10 ply's are fine, especially if you're towing. I'm really starting to like those Duratracs, apparently they were designed with forest service vehicles in mind and they show it, they look like they're a really good all around tire. They'll most likely be my next set as they'd serve my style of driving perfectly. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Merry Christmas!!!

well finally got around to getting the T-bars cranked and a set of 265/75/16
6 ply duratracs on. I haven't got around to trying them out yet, but so far so good. First test will be mainly all pavement, as I will be heading to Williams Lake BC for Christmas. I would never have thought that a nice looking tire could change the trucks whole look!! Went from a quiet seniors ride, to a truck that looks like its ready to rock and rip sh$t up!!!

Thanks to all that helped out with the choice!!

Now to just to mount a bull bar and some PIAA 520 atps, and a airaid synthamax filter and maybe a new exhaust

Will post pics of ride in the New Year!!!

-Mad

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode