NEED HELP: No Ignition Acc - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

No Ignition Acc

Hi Guys,

There's apparently no acc function/position on the ignition switch of my 2000 Ranger 4x4 extra cab....Has anyone else here come across this?? Was this a factory FU for that year??

If I want to sit and listen to my stereo with the engine off, I have to put the key in the run position (tends to run the battery down).

The owners manual says it's one turn back from the key lock position but there's simply no acc position there. Do I need to get a new ignition switch??

TIA
conductr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 PM

do the other positions seem ok?,if it doesn't work in acc only you may need a ignition switch.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Even bare bones base model cheap fleet vehicles will have an ACC position. Sounds to me like there's something wrong with the wiring or ignition in your truck. Does the key find the position but it doesn't work, or is it just plain not there? I wouldn't be surprised if the ignition switch was just completely worn out and they're really not a pain to swap out. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Shelby: The other key positions seem fine although at times it is a little hard to get out of the lock position into the run/start position.

Lone Ranger: The acc position just isn't there, if it is indeed where the owners manual states it's supposed to be be ( 1 click back from the lock position).

It looks like a new ignition switch is in order.

Thanks again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM

If you don't mind having an older style key I can dig around my dad's place because I know I have an ignition cylinder kicking around somewhere with keys, its out of a mid-80s Ranger though (same basic thing just with the old school style keys). It wouldn't be a big deal mailing it over to you if you want.

IIRC, all thats involved is removing the screws (should be two) holding the plastic around the column, turn the key to the ON position and there's a metal 'button' so to speak on the side of the cylinder that you push in with a punch (can be a bugger cause its tight) and the cylinder should slide right out. I've done a couple but its been probably 10 years since so I might have missed something in there, and I do remember it being a bit of a pain but thats the general gist of how its done. The only real catch is if you're running a chipped key (I doubt it on a '00), then you would need the OEM key present for the truck to start. Its a tall stretch, but you know, I may even have the matching door locks for that cylinder too but I can't promise anything. I'll look tonight. LR

Matt T.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks LR....Problem solved... It's amazing what a little WD40 and some friendly persuasion can do...I appreciate the offer though...Cheers!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks LR....Problem solved. It's amazing what a little WD40 and some friendly persuasion can do.... As it turns out there is an acc position afterall (right where it's supposed to be). Clicks right in now, no probs....I appreciate the offer though....Cheers!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Ooops! Sorry about the double post.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 PM

No worries, I wasn't able to make it over to my dad's tonight anyways. I still have a few misc odds and ends lurking around his shop from years and projects gone by. LR

Matt T.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode