07 Ranger XLT PDL problem. - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

07 Ranger XLT PDL problem.

Im having a problem with my power door locks on my ranger. when im in the truck with the doors closed, engine off/on, doesn't matter, the door switches control the door locks as intended, with no delay. the problem occurs once i open the drivers door. the locks immediately engage as soon as i pull the handle and push the door open. with the door open they can be unlocked with either driver or passenger side switch but both switches WILL NOT lock the doors. (again, with the door open) Once the door is closed again, the buttons work as they should, unlock (up) disengages the lock, lock (down) engages the lock. the keyfob works fine.
i've read a bit about what this problem could be. some say the actuators could be bad. but why would the lock switches work perfectly with the door closed, and no power to the lock switch when the door is open? any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Maybe a wire is shorting when you open the door?

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 03:07 PM

Agree with 07rangersport. Sounds like a wire harness problem, or perhaps a bad connection at the switch.

Take off the driver's side door panel and have a look around the rubber boot near the hinges, where the harness passes from the body to inside the door. Is the harness catching or shorting out? Check to see if the connector on the bottom of the switch module is on properly.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Passenger side switch acts the same but the opening of that door does not trigger the locking of the doors as the drivers side does.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 PM

The Ranger doesn't have any kind of automatic locking feature that I'm aware of (and I've had a couple Rangers)

Any chance the previous owner (if there was one) could have done some driveway modifications? The doors shouldn't require the door latch as a ground to complete the circuit from the factory, but if someone has messed with them...

You're going to need to find a warm garage, remove the panels and do some testing with a meter to solve I think...

Have you tried swapping the switches left to right (even temporary)?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:45 PM

The switches for the lock actuators for the passenger side and driver side are basically wired in parallel. So a problem with the wiring in driver-side door (or a problem with the switch), would also affect the passenger side lock.

If I'm reading your description correctly, that the problem only happens when the driver's door is moved -- but not when the passenger door is moved -- then my first guess would be around the driver door area.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Well I went out today to move the truck so my wife could get her car out and the issue was mysteriously resolved. I unlocked the doors with the keyfob and fully expected the door locks to snap shut as I opened the door, but they did not. He locks work correctly again.
Man, I've had an electrical issue in the past but with a totally different part of my truck. The head unit acted up one day. http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9012
This issue resolved itself as well after one day. I'm thinking my trucks electrical system hates damp rainy conditions. What's next to go out temporarily?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM

You've got a short somewhere, those issues dont just 'disappear'

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

'somewhere' is the word that worries me. i don't have the time or equipment to go on a search mission for the short. im sure ford would charge me way too much to look for it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 PM

Keep me posted if you find anything! My '07 Ranger did the same thing one day - one day only! It was 4 or 5 months ago. Same thing, the door would relock itself as soon as you use the door handle. It has never done it since. The day before, my radio was acting up as well. As soon as I went from park to reverse, my speakers went dead. The head unit worked fine, I could control everything. I could only get sound in park and neutral. Driving down the highway I could shift into neutral and I'd have sound. Back into drive and it'd be gone again. It only lasted one day too!

The speakers were one day, then the next day it was the door locks. Haven't had a problem since! I thought my truck had a mind of its own but it sounds like ours are related!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode