NEED HELP: OEM Fender Flares - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

OEM Fender Flares

I was just curious as to how the factory fender flares are monted to the fenders...... 2 way tape or body clips or is it a combination of both? I've looked all over the net and cannot find any answers.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2008 Ford Ranger Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 12:41 PM

They are clips. Which as far as I know are not reusable

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07rangersport View Post
They are clips. Which as far as I know are not reusable
If for whatever reason I have to remove a fender flare does that mean the entire flare is no longer any good or is it just a matter of buying new clips for the flare?

does anyone have any pics of how they're made? ( behind the flare ) Sort of like a diagram I tried searching the web and on the forum with little luck.

Thanks

2008 Ford Ranger Sport

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:49 PM

If the flares on a Ranger attach the same way as on my Mazda, then they use those ribbed push-pin fasteners, shaped like a big 'T'. You can pry them out and re-use them if you're careful.

I recall that the head of the fastener isn't the standard round button shape, though. It's more like a strip. So if you did break one, you probably need to get replacements from the dealer.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Would I be able to see how the pins are made if I removed the inner fender guard in the front?

2008 Ford Ranger Sport
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 09:55 PM

The easiest way to see them is to look at the ones on the back. You can see them if you look in the wheelwell without moving anything.

As long as you're careful you can remove and reinstall them. I used needle nose pliers to squeeze the clips together and gently pop them through the holes. I've taken all four of mine off and then swapped my stock textured ones with DSG painted ones. The only part I had to buy was the plastic "Christmas tree" looking ones that go in the bottom of the flares into the edge of the fenders.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLSCALE View Post
As long as you're careful you can remove and reinstall them. I used needle nose pliers to squeeze the clips together and gently pop them through the holes.
Good catch. I stand corrected. Sorry for giving a bum steer on that one in my previous comment. They are in fact the "arrow head" type of clip - not the Christmas tree kind like I said.

They mount on an inside lip of the plastic fender flare where you can't see the heads from the outside, and then the whole assembly gets pushed on, with the shaft of the "arrow head" part going through matching holes around the fender.l

Now that you've jogged my memory, I remember I found an easy way to get them off without damage. I had a piece of stainless tubing of the right diameter (3/8" or 1/4" O.D.?) lying around the shop. I slid it over the end of the arrow head to compress the barbs, so that it slides right through the hole in the fender. You could probably improvise any old thing like a pen barrel or something.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! It makes me feel better as I thought it was just 2 way tape as I saw one of the rear ones had a little play in it.

Thanks again....really appreciate it!

2008 Ford Ranger Sport