Got a slight problem.. ...... - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Got a slight problem.. ......

Well, we've been having colossal rains around here lately and I think my poor little Ranger just had enough of it, hit a few deep puddles and a couple that didn't do it any good apparently. One was bad enough that I got water in the engine and I had to change the oil, and its been running like a bag of balls since and misfiring badly. I threw a code scanner on it and it popped up six: P0304,05,06, and 00 with repeats on a couple. It labelled it as misfires in cylinder's 4, 5, 6 and random. It idles pretty smoothly in neutral/park (no knocking, the engine was at idle and being turned off when it hydrolocked, wasn't started back up until everything was drained out), but once I put it in drive it lopes from about 500 - 800 rpm, and has issues getting over 60 - 70 km/h. Idle along at that speed and its fine, try to accelerate and forget it - and obviously its worse when the torque converter locks up as would be expected since the TC's not absorbing the hesitation anymore.

I'm going to go change the oil again this morning because its still a little mirky but more so I'm going to change out the plugs too cause they weren't looking too great when I pulled them out Friday to clear the cylinders. I've pulled the plug wires and they're dry, coil pack seems to be dry. The last time I came across this issue was when my bro bought a '92 BMW 328i a few years back and the coil packs were toast and shorting out through the valve cover. A bit of silicone sealing the bodies up solved the problem. My personal experience would tell me that there's an issue with the coil pack.

I don't think the ECM got any water in it or enough to short it out via connectors under the hood, and I doubt that a scan tool will pick up whether or not any sensors have gone bad. Its a bit of a head scratcher, but I'm just glad that the engine hasn't suffered any more damage that what it has. Any thoughts on what would be causing it to run so rough and miss so badly? Thanks

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:56 PM

Sorry you're having problems with your truck. I think you're on the right track, though.

My guess is that there's still water, or at least moisture hiding somewhere. From what you're saying the water got up under the hood pretty good. Possibly the water is affecting the MAF, or it's wiring. I suppose there must also be a throttle position sensor.

I'd get a can or two of silcone spray or LPS -- something that displaces water -- and take apart all the connectors you can, and spray them down. Same with anything related to the ignition wiring. Also, I'd unplug the wiring harness on the passenger side firewall, and spray out those connectors.

Stupid question -- but I assume the air filter's not water-logged?

If it's the coil pack, like you suspect, is there anyone you can "borrow" a good one from to confirm it? I assume they're not cheap, so it'd be nice to know that's what it really is, before blowing the money on a new one. My hunch is that if it's working at idle, I don't see a reason it would suddenly stop working at a higher RPM. I could be wrong.

Good luck!

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM

Do a compression test on the driver's side 3 cylinders to make you didn't damage anything.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I definitely need to do a compression test for sure since they were the 'wet' side, # 5 was so bad (open intake valve) that there was a little fountain pouring out of the hole when I pulled the plug. I've been a little lazy this morning but I'm about to head out and give 'er another go. I'm going to change the plugs out because they're junk anyways, and I'm going to relube the sparkplug boots to make sure that there's no electrical leakage. The air filter got changed right away because the other one was completely toast, it didn't even try to slow the barrage of water that came pouring in, in fact it even got pushed up into the intake a little..

The reason I figure that its electrical and [most likely] has something to do with timing is that you can hear faint 'pops' occasionally out the intake as it idles. If it were constant I would assume a bent/cracked valve but its random at best. CPS sensor maybe? LR

Matt T.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Could only really reach two cylinders due to the friggin' A/C system and EGR, but conveniently they were also the two holes that I was most worried about since I seen the most water come out of them. They're both sitting at 180 psi.

I also got digging around and found the inside fuse panel on the floor to be fairly wet, so I threw the heater back on it and will leave it for the night. One other odd quirk has arisen though (I've been waiting for these..), my stereo only has audio when the tranny's in neutral or park - kinda like the safety for the low range t-case switch has gotten mixed up with it or something. Any tech's around here have any clues as to whats going on? Its booked in Sat for its 48k service, and they've been notified about it all so they're going to take a look at the electrics for me. LR

Matt T.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM

that must have been a hell of a puddle you got wet in

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinHp View Post
that must have been a hell of a puddle you got wet in
ummm... my windshield got thoroughly 'washed' it looked pretty innocent too, but I was near balls deep standing in it when I got out to sort out the situation. I dropped in under 10 km/h but the way the nose dropped in it swamped the front end pretty good. Two oil changes later but the tranny, power steering, and front diff stayed dry though. It was more of a wave than anything, and like I said I got 'er shut down as it swamped. The damn useless stock airbox simply funnelled the water straight up into the engine, didn't even try to slow it down at all.

I had to open the doors to get out and get my recovery gear, water was about 2" up the bottom of the seats. Worst thing is that I dropped something in the puddle when I opened the passenger door, so I had to completely dunk under the truck to retrieve it.. 5 hours of working on it cranking water out of the engine standing in the rain soaked from head to toe in 2* weather, surprised that I didn't end up sick again!! My boots are still soaked through, and I'm still drying water out of the interior. Crazy thing is that it wasn't "offroad" either, just a deep puddle I had to cross in the yard at work. LR

Matt T.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:43 PM

wow that sucks I am glad I have never come across that yet and I have been in water up to my windows. I would let everything dry out and then silicone spray your connectors like b4000 has said.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 PM

that sucks man... hope it all dries out

I've came close in a bronco2 to swamping it but not bad enough to get water in the engine..... well through the intake anyways...

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was pretty surprised and disappointed with myself too, but I guess its inevitable in this game. Pushing 20 years 4x4ing everything from minivans [hey, don't laugh! They haul ass in sand dunes!], several 4x4 trucks, ATVs to my current Ranger and its the first time I've ever hydrolocked an engine - and my first Ranger I dunked it so deep that for about 5 or 10 seconds only the CB antenna was sticking out of the water! Anyone who says that underhood snorkels don't work has never tried them.. Guess its time to seal up the door vents and start building a snorkel for the truck! LR

Matt T.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode