To Do or Not To Do. - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

To Do or Not To Do.

Hello fellow Ranger owners.
My question is i am thinking about down sizing from a 23ft MTR home.
To sliding in a 7ft camper in the back of my 08 Ranger FX4 would this
work ? And also i will be towing 2 quads on a open trailer. How would
my little Ranger handle the work load ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Master Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to v8ranger
hey man check out loan ranger he carrys one on the back of his 09 fx4 ranger so i think its doabel

might just wanna get the air helper bags to use when the truck is loaded an mabe a heaveir duty tranny cooler as well be the truck should have the power to do it just dont try pushing the truck over 120
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lilbigtrk
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8ranger View Post
truck should have the power to do it just dont try pushing the truck over 120

she might blow :P

MAKE: Ford, MODEL:Ranger, YEAR: 1993, MODS:4inch body lift, 32 11.5 15 M/T's, push bar chrome, rollbar black,4 off road light JVC CD deck,2 12' mtx subs, 1000watt mtx amp,blue neon

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Master Mechanic

Loneranger hauls a camper on the back of his ranger as well as pull a trailer you should be fine
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Slide in campers are not recommended for the ranger. Check the weight of the camper against what payload is left available. Send Lone Ranger a pm and ask him what he thinks or wait and see if he posts.

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 10:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Yup, a Ranger will handle a slide-in just fine if you equip it properly. You DEFINITELY need a set of rear airbags to handle the weight though (I have a set of Firestone sport-rite airbags with an onboard compressor setup). However, you will be slow on the hills and you're going to average roughly 10 - 12 mpg so you mind as well just find a cheap F250 if you're doing it for fuel mileage reasons. Compactness? Well, you're still 9+ feet tall and your stability isn't exactly stellar in anything less than city street situations. You will not fall over per se (trust me, I've had mine on some retarded angles offroad with the camper, and actually STOOD it on the rear bumper backing out of a nasty crossditch and hitting the brakes in another, I was looking directly up at the sky!! What saved me was the ATV trailer acting as a catch behind me, and it was dug thoroughly into the ground, but it still nearly fell over to the right! Scared the crap outta me none the less), but it will feel like it whenever you're trying to turn on a decent hill.

If you're looking to DD a compact pickup and haul a camper occasionally on the side, then yes it will handle it fine. I had mine mounted on the truck from about a month old for about 8 months there after due to my work schedule. A 7' slide-in will be fine for you, but IMHO it is far too cramped for a second person unless you're very friendly with them. I didn't have any issues fitting in the bed though, even at 6' tall I was able to sleep comfortably in the overhead bunk - and the camper's still parked out front of our house and gets used as a guest shack when we have too many people over lol.

As for weight, my camper weighs approx 1200 lbs and the ATV trailer and quad weighs about the same loaded, maybe a touch heavier. At 70 psi in the bags (90 psi max) it actually sat 1" HIGHER that stock when loaded right up - full fuel, spare gas cans, propane, food, gear, you name it! I kept the tranny in drive (O/D off) and kept my speed to 90 km/h to keep the rev's in check, but it drove perfectly fine. It wasn't no sports car like a 1 ton diesel when loaded, but it held its own fine. HD tranny cooler would be a very good idea though to keep your truck cool on the hills.

Here's a couple of quick shots of my setup:

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07rangersport View Post
Slide in campers are not recommended for the ranger. Check the weight of the camper against what payload is left available. Send Lone Ranger a pm and ask him what he thinks or wait and see if he posts.
Yeah, Ford definitely lists their weights at a pretty low amount, but for me it also depends on what rear axle you're running and if you're running bags or not (IIRC, it leaves you with the ability to put 500 lbs in the box and then you're at max weight). Axle weight capacity varies quite a bit between the regular 28 spline 8.8" and 31 spline 8.8" axle, but Ford still sets it based on the 28 spline. Also, airbags are a HUGE help for the soft useless factory Ranger leafs. My ATV [700 lbs] in the back maxed out the weight capacity of the truck and left it sitting on the bump stops before I bagged it, I couldn't believe how useless they were. I swapped in a set of 2" lift leafs in my previous '93 Ranger and just the leafs alone handled the weight of both the ATV and camper, plus they rode as smoothly as stock springs to boot.

Trailer brakes would be a huge help, and as much as I wanted to install them when I replaced the axle on my trailer last summer, I just couldn't afford the $450 bill at the time, considering that I got another 2000 lb axle for it for $150. $300 difference for slightly larger bearings (I've compared them, 3500 lb axles don't really have that much larger of bearings compared to my 2000 lb axle) and a couple of electric drum brakes wasn't justified at the time. Next time, I'm hoping I can - or at least get one when PA has them on sale for $250 again. LR

Matt T.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Master Mechanic

Thanks for helping out lone ranger very helpfull info
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 AM

I wish mine was a 7'er, I only got mine (6'er) because I got it for a deal off of a buddy of mine. When you're dealing with such a small space the extra foot helps a ton. I had to put a spacer under mine to clear the cab though so be careful for that, in case you end up doing like the first time we loaded it into my buddy's '07 Ranger when I got it - his roof still bears the scratches.. oops. It now resides in the ATV trailer when I use it because it tows far better and sits nearly 3' lower so it clears overhead obstacles.

I ended up selling my ATV so I don't have to worry about hauling it around, but even when I did I had a ramp built for the back of my Ranger so I could carry it with the tailgate closed, and so it cleared the front of the camper. It also afforded me a little more storage space too but thats a fairly minor deal. LR

Matt T.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode