Hey LR...about your front winch - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Mar

Hey LR...about your front winch

I'm interested about your setup up front for the winch.
Did you make the receiver yourself and if so, was there any modification required?

09 Ford Ranger Sport slightly modified.

The only good thing about dirt is in the mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 AM

I've been looking into this myself lately and to do a reciever mount on the front for it is pretty easy and you can have it come right though the opening in the bumper. You basically just need a straight receiver trailer hitch. Cut it do to fit between the frame rails where you want it height wise and far enough forward and then weld plate to the ends to either bolt it or to give more strengh to weld it to the frame

06 Ranger Fx4 Level II
31" Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
15x7 DSG Alcoas
31 Spline 8.8 w/ Torsen Ls rear
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Mar

Sounds simple enough, I'll need to find me a hitch. I'll have to relocate my front license plate, stupid thing.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Just a regular ol' receiver that I ordered through a buddy of mine who owns a hitch shop. I'm in the works of working out the plans for a proper winch bumper, at which time I will be cutting the receiver back so that it doesn't stick out so far and hang up so much in the bush, but its not going to happen for a while yet when I get enough spare time off of work.

It works absolutely fine for the winch. Guys always say that they'll bent doing side pulls, no you'll most likely stall your winch out first. The only way would be a 9500# plus winch with a snatch block, and then perhaps. I had the same setup on my previous '93 and it worked just as well, plus I have a PA tow ring in it when the winch isn't installed to hook a tow strap up to because its FAR stronger than the OEM front tow hooks - or more accurately, the crossmember that's tack welded in that they're attached to. The front receiver also stiffens up the front end as well, and would make for a hell of an increased buffer for any possible frontal impacts.

The cons? It hangs down low, and you need to trim the front skidplate to make it fit (plus your bumper too a bit IIRC). If you make your own, it'd be pretty easy to build one that sits up higher which would be a good thing. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Mar

Good stuff to know, will have to pull off my skid plate to have a look so I can understand a bit better what you mean or how to make it higher. I won't be making it myself as I don't have those tools to do so. Should I get an old hitch customize or get one made up you figure? I am hoping I don't need to trim anything and of course would probably need to relocate the license plate. Guess could probably make a plate holder that would slide in the hitch when not in use.
I just want to be ready when I buy a winch, hopefully later this year.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Mine was $250 installed, not too bad really I guess considering it took nearly an hour along to trim the skidplate then reinstall it. You licence plate will be fine, I only moved mine because it was completely blocked when the winch was in place and the cops around here are hardcore anal about that sorta junk, and I'm not feeling rich enough to cough up the $138 fine for it (stupid thing is that its only $109 if its missing??).

If you're ever over on the mainland and don't mind wandering into downtown Van to get the work done, I can recommend you to a buddy of mine who owns MobibleHitch in Vancouver, Shayne. Great guy to deal with and you won't beat his prices. (604)306-4713. He's the only one who I trust to do my hitch/trailer work, and thats no small thing considering that its one hell of a long drive out there from my place. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode