BIG pothole - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

BIG pothole

On Monday night I hit a fairly large pothole, I hit it while driving dead straight but when the truck hit it first with the front left wheel it made a really big " bang noise" obviously and then when the rear left tire went in it it actually caused the rear of the truck to bounce up quite a bit. I kept on driving to listen for a flat and to see if the truck would pull left or right and NOTHING!!!!

NOW....my question is....Is it possible that due to the fact that I hit it dead on and not in a turn or anything that I came out of that with NO damage and I should go buy a lottery ticket or should I be worried?

Thanks in advance!

2008 Ford Ranger Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 PM

might of damaged the jounce stop or even the shocks insp for leakage from shocks,if thats good corner store for superseven tickets

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyx1 View Post
might of damaged the jounce stop or even the shocks insp for leakage from shocks,if thats good corner store for superseven tickets
Not to sound ignorant but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by " the jounce stop " could you explain that to me please.

thanks

2008 Ford Ranger Sport

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I have checked the shocks and there seems to be NO damage to them but it is winter and there is slush and snow and salt and crap but I will double check in the spring time after a good deep clean.

2008 Ford Ranger Sport
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 05:58 PM

could have damaged the wheel bearing... but if it did it probly wont show up for a bit

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyx1 View Post
I think he meant bounce stop.. aka bump stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinHp View Post
could have damaged the wheel bearing... but if it did it probly wont show up for a bit
I second this..

I would get it in for a 4wheel alignment.. that will find out if anything is outta whack. and maybe have them check for suspension play.

alignments usually 50-100 bucks.. that could save you additional wear on the suspension and possibly premature tire wear.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
I'd take it in and have it checked over for sure, even tho you may not know what to look for a dealership will. If there is damage I'd call your insurance company as it will be covered on your policy or atleast it should be.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mine's been through hell and hell again (don't think its been allowed to come back yet), and it still drives straight as an arrow and doesn't wear out tires. The truck's built pretty well, so unless you're starting to hear new noises then I personally wouldn't worry too much, otherwise having an alignment shop take a look at it wouldn't hurt either.

Its just normal for a truck to make a hard bang noise when you bounce through a hard pothole, there's a lot of weight being shifted around at some pretty hard G's. Your shocks will absorb most of it, but check to see if they're leaking or showing any signs of not moving freely (they'll make it pretty obvious, squeaking or grinding/banging noises as they start to go, and ultimately leaking oil). LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

My paranoyia got the best of me and I brought the truck to my local dealership to have the front end and alignment check for damage.... I canme to realize I would rather spend 90$ to get it checked ( possibly fix for more $$$ ) now than wait and cause more damage to the front end and chew up my new tires ( if the front end is out of wack ) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is nothing wwrong and if there is I hope it's just a simple re alignment of the wheels. I'll keep you guys posted.

2008 Ford Ranger Sport
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Just got the truck back from the dealer and NO damage to the front end and no damage to the suspention ( shocks and such ) the only thing they did notice was the toe was in too much but that was from the prev garage that did the aligment when I bought the truck.

WOW these are tough little trucks!

2008 Ford Ranger Sport

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode