Thinking about by passing switch - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Ranger Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Mar

Thinking about by passing switch

for the x-tra sweep of stupid wipers. Summer is coming and I am going on a road trip to meet a friend of mine. Last time bugs were so bad that the x-tra sweep just made vision worst.
So got to thinking about installing a push button to the windshield washer tank separate from the main controls while still keeping the x-tra sweep.
I'm not very good when it comes to electronics so...what would be the proper way of doing this?

09 Ford Ranger Sport slightly modified.

The only good thing about dirt is in the mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:38 AM

This problem is interesting, so I had a look at my '07 Ranger factory wiring manual. I think you could very easily defeat the "extra wipe" function.

But before I go into detail, you should know that my 2007 model year diagram may be different from your model year. I'm assuming that Ford had no reason to change the hardware (ie. the wiring), since the wipers and washer pump control relays are controlled by the Smart Junction Box (SJB) -- basically an embedded computer. Therefore, the actions of the wipers and washer pump are a function of the firmware in the SJB. You'd think it would be as easy as getting access to the firmware and simply changing that part of the program. Unfortunately, this isn't like hacking your iPhone. I don't know of any available way for regular people like us to get into it -- unless you happen to be a Ford engineer.

That leaves us with modifying the hardware -- the wiring, in this case.

The modification I'll describe will change the operation of your windshield wiper switch in the following way:
  • - pressing the washer button --> in will only turn on the washer pump
  • - pressing the button will no longer operate the wipers, for "mist" function
  • - to operate the wipers, you will need to rotate the knob

WARNING -- YOU MAY F*CK SOMETHING UP. AFTER READING THE INSTRUCTIONS, AND YOU DON'T THINK YOU CAN DO IT -- THEN DON'T. DAMAGING OR DESTROYING THE SJB IS A REAL RISK, AND COULD BE VERY EXPENSIVE.

NOTE -- I'm assuming the wiring colours for the 2007 model year. It would be a good idea to invest in a set of factory service manuals to be sure. There are a lot of wires running into the SJB, and I can't confirm the correct colours or locations for any other model year.

*** Disconnect the battery. ***

All of the modifications are done at the SJB connectors, behind the passenger-side footwell panel. Remove that panel to expose the fuse box/SJB.

There are several large 32-pin connectors which plug into the SJB. When cutting a connector wire, expose enough of it from the wiring harness, so that you can make the connection several inches away from the connector pin, leaving the loose wire. Tape up the loose wire, in case you want to undo the modification, and splice the wire back together again.

There are 4 large 32-pin connectors plugged into the SJB:

(picture from theRangerstation.com)

The connectors have black plastic covers with a lot wires going into them. The two connectors you need are:

C2280d -- at the top

C2280a -- toward the firewall, at the left of 2280d, mounted sideways to the other 3 connectors.

On C2280d, locate the grey wire with a brown stripe (pin 19). Cut that wire as far back from the connector as possible, leaving a few inches of wire from the connector free. Tape up the remaining pigtail wire hanging from the connector, in case you need to undo this modification.

On C2280a, locate the blue wire with a white strip (pin 5), see note below. Cut that wire as far back from the connector as possible, leaving a few inches of wire from the connector free. Tape up the remaining pigtail wire hanging from the connector, in case you need to undo this modification.

** NOTE: There are two blue/white wires on the C2280a connector. The other wire is on pin 30, near the connector locking clip. That wire is for the horn switch, and is an 18-gauge wire(thicker). The wire from the washer switch (pin 5) is a 22-gauge wire (thinner). Make sure you have the correct wire by testing it with an ohm-meter by pushing the horn or washer switch.

Now you should have 2 taped-up wires hanging from the two connectors. When you cut those wires, I emphasise to leave as much length as you can, because if you ever have to splice your wires back on to the connector, it's a real nightmare if you only have a tiny stub. I doubt you can buy those individual contacts at a dealer, either.

On the two wires you have cut, on the wiring harness side, you need to splice them together. You may be able to do it directly, or you might need to use a short length of wire, spliced in, if you don't have enough length.

Make sure all your connections are well-insulated with electrical tape or heat shrink tubing, including the spare ends left on the connectors.

Double check your connections, re-connect the battery, and test.

Now pressing-in the button on the windshield wiper switch will operate the washer pump directly, bypassing the SJB. The wipers will not turn on. To turn on the wipers, rotate the switch as usual.

Hopefully these instructions make sense, and aren't too confusing. I think it actually is a pretty simple modification, just more difficult to describe on paper. I think it could work with other models of Ford vehicles that have the "extra wipe" function, if you have a wiring diagram to find the right colours/locations.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Mar

In English please lol. Thanks but just wiring a switch straight to the fluid container sounds more simple to me...but what do i KNOW

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 07:51 AM

The modification I described boils down to:

1. cut two wires
2. splice them together

And that's it. The rest is just me trying to explain how to find those two wires, and some spooky warnings.

Here's a picture, which probably shows just how simple this really is:

The advantages are, you don't need to run any wires; you don't need to drill a hole in your dashboard to mount an extra switch somewhere. You're using the switch you've already got. Plus, that switch is in the perfect place to squirt some fluid and turn on the wipers at the same time. No need to awkwardly move your hand to different places.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 AM

Or ...

Phase 1: Cut wires
Phase 2: Splice wires
Phase 3: ?
Phase 4: Profit!

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 PM

Great information thanks for posting... I also hate the last wipe smear but just been clicking the wipers on off end of the first wipe to have a 4th right away but might consider this mod.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Mar

So awesome...thankyou so much and will look into this for sure.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 AM

Just a reminder to anyone who tries this -- the wire colours I listed in the instructions are from a 2007 Ford Ranger factory service manual. Confirm that the wires are the correct ones before cutting anything. You can do that with a correct model year wiring diagram, or by tracing out the wires and confirming their funciton with a multimeter.

I don't have access to any other vehicle, so I can't really help with that.

Please post what you find on this thread so that others can refer to it.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 AM

Heh, look what I came across. It's from the 2011 F-150 owner's manual:

Quote:
Courtesy wipe feature: One extra wipe will occur a few seconds after
washing the front window to clear any excess washer fluid remaining on
the windshield. This feature can be enabled/disabled through the
message center.
Refer to Message center in the Instrument Cluster
chapter.
(emphasis, mine)

I guess this "feature" pissed off enough customers that Ford decided to make it programmable now. Well, I guess at least this is evidence that they do listen to complaints and make changes in subsequent models to correct them. That probably doesn't help current owners, though.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Mar

Do you have a picture showing the pin numbers on the connectors?

Any tricks on taking that panel off?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode