Rock sliders - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Mar

Rock sliders

Found these surfing the other day, just email them asking if they think they would work on the Ranger. What do you think? Looking at getting the 78 inchers, according to my tape measure it would seem to work.

http://www.trail-gear.ca/default.cfm...dcategoryid=16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:56 PM

Looks good, and the price is not bad. I wonder if the pre-made Tacoma ones would work with proper clearance and bracket locations? I think these guys are actually North Shore Offroad in North Van. If you ever get over there you could save yourself some shipping.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:58 PM

They should work out, may end up having to cut the legs on an angle. I would get the plates as well.

1997 F-150 xl
1984 Honda XR200R (the toy)
2007 Honda CRF100f (the spare toy)
2005 Jayco Baja 10Y (the home away from home)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Mar

Yeah they are in Vancouver and though they have install them on different rigs, they haven't done a ranger yet.
If I could get my truck there during the week they would do the install, approx 4 hrs work @ $79 an hour.
If I get it shipped over to the island it would be $25-$30, cheaper then taking the ferry over.
Yes I do plan on getting the plates also.
I think I could make these fit, just need to find a welder that works for beer or something.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:47 PM

[ just need to find a welder that works for beer or something.[/QUOTE]

don't they all!lol

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Trail Gear makes a pretty good product. I had one of their lifts in my old 4Runner and was impressed with it. My buddy had those exact slidders on his Toyota and they where frick'n beefy! they stood up to all sorts of rock abuse, you can use them as pull point when your stuck too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCwheeler View Post
Trail Gear makes a pretty good product. I had one of their lifts in my old 4Runner and was impressed with it. My buddy had those exact slidders on his Toyota and they where frick'n beefy! they stood up to all sorts of rock abuse, you can use them as pull point when your stuck too.
I wouldn't seeing as they are attached to the frame, one hard pull and a bend in the frame would cause all sorts of problems.

I have the trail gear sliders on my truck http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/showt...sliders&page=3 and did not use the plates they sell with the mounting kit. I had my own plates bent up in an L shape to give more strength and then gusseted the pipes you get with the kit for added strength aswell. You will also notice that I added a pipe facing the rear of the truck to provide lateral support so if a rock is hit while moving forward it will not have a tendency to want to bend the mounting pipes if hit hard enough. Also when you get the plates welded to the frame if the Rangers frame is fully boxed and tempered like the F150 then make sure whoever welds is compitent enough to do so. The tempered frame can easily be damaged by welding because the extreme heat from doing so can and will damage the frame if not done properly. Only weld in 1cm beads 1-1.5cm apart, the plate does not need to be fully welded all around and make sure you grind any paint away from the steel on both the frame and plate so as to not include contaminates into the weld. Start at the front and do a bead, then move to the rear then the middle back to the front jumping back and fourth giving the frame plaenty of time to cool so as not to remove the tempering from the frame. I would recomend you get the Trail Gear sliders sand blasted as they are covered in scale since they are made from recycled chinese steel and then get them powder coated as it will be your best bet for a long lasting finish. At least if the powder coating get scraped off from a rock it will not flake off and you can touch it up with a rattle can as needed. Hope this helps you, good luck.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 03:13 PM

If he cut the plates into a fishplate, he shouldnt have a problem ripping them out. That should distribute the load greatly.

Yes they will work on a Ranger. There is a guy on Ranger-forums.com that has a set. The support bars need to be cut down a little, but besides that it shouldnt be a problem.

Although that L bracket would be a good idea, cant hurt.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM

One our 4Runners, we replaced the stock L-brackets with 4" wide x 1/4" thick brackets. We used a chunk of square tubing, cut the opposite corners to make the L-bracket.
As Tohi2care did on his truck we welded them on the frame rather than bolted. In my mind welding them to the frame rather than bolting them is alot stronger and you can weld the bottom of the brackets to the underside of the frame. If you have access to a shop it's a pretty easy install. My buddy worked at North Shore Off-Road so all the tools where at hand.
Rock Slidders are like braces for your frame, they displace the load greatly accross your frame. I would be very surprised if you bent your frame using them as a tow point or lifting your truck with a high lift.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM

You can also go on ranger-forums.com and buy some sliders off zabeard (i believe this is his name over there), lots of members have them and are impressed. Theres a set in the classified adds over there for like $250.

Sean

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode