Oil in Plug Wells - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Oil in Plug Wells

so I psyched myself up enough to do my plug change. I was so confident that I didn't even buy the broken removal tool.....

removed the PCM then COPs on the passenger side when I noticed 3 of 4 COP boots have a lot of motor oil on them. The COP at the front didn't have any but the next one did and the following ones were even worse. I figure I've got a leak in the valve cover gasket but I can't tell for sure. I guess I don't really know what else it could be. I went so far as to buy the FEL-PRO rubber gasket kit with grommets for both sides today and when I got home I started taking out the valve cover bolts.

My shop manual said I'd have to capture the refrigerant so I could remove the A/C compressor tubes etc.. After staring at it for 20 mins, I figured I could work around it. An hour later I was still working on the first bolt (I started with what I thought would be the hardest to get to). I tried every combination of extensions and wobbles that I could think of - all to no avail. I'm also worried that if i did actually get that bolt out, I still might not be able to get the valve cover to fit out between the A/C lines.

So before I go to the dealership I'd like any input from someone who's "been there", or who might otherwise be able to help. In addition, when using these gaskets, should I use some kind of adhesive and/or RTV gasket? There were no instructions in the gasket box.

fail!

Last edited by SCrew Lariat; 06-11-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

got all the driver's side plugs changed no problem. It took me longer to clean the dirt out of the holes than it did to change the plugs. It seems the dealership that changed them last put anti-seize on the threads instead of the lower portion of the plugs. As soon as they broke loose, I turned them out by hand.

guess I'll call the dealership tomorrow about the other side's valve cover gasket.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 PM

you can take the valve cover off without evac a/c,just remove the grommet around the vct solonoid on the top of the v/c,remove the vct solonoid with a t27 screwdriver,then fight the valve cover out(it's so much easier to pay somebody to do it)

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

thanks!

I just called the dealer - quoted me 3 hours labour lol

I guess I'll keep looking
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

just tracked down a ford tech while he was home on lunch break. He said he'd do the job for $40 after-hours.

I think I've found a new best friend! There's definitely a decent tip heading his way!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCrew Lariat View Post
just tracked down a ford tech while he was home on lunch break. He said he'd do the job for $40 after-hours.

I think I've found a new best friend! There's definitely a decent tip heading his way!!
Those are the best!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

well as it turns out, it wasn't oil but antifreeze dripping from the thing they put in the line to flush the system - the pipe clamp wasn't tight, I guess. Fell a bit dumb about that one - damn gold anti-freeze!

so... getting back to why I changed the plugs....

I get this misfire (i think) that I originally thought was a manifold leak (it sounds like it). It happens when I floor it - the rpms can vary when it happens - 2k to 3k rpm. It's usually a puff or puck sound if that makes any sense to anyone lol - like puff or puff puff or puff puff puff. It only happens once each time I accelerate from slow or a stop and won't happen once I'm out of first gear. It also won't happen in park.

after changing all my plugs to the updated platinums and changing all of my coils, coating everything with dielectric grease, I'm at a loss.

might be a long shot but could that hole in my muffler somehow cause this?? not enough back pressure or somethin

going to start a new thread to keep it clean

any suggestions? I've already been to the dealer enough about it that I don't plan to go there again.

Last edited by SCrew Lariat; 06-15-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode