Blown Sub - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Blown Sub

the factory sub in my 04 Screw blew. I was thinking about replacing with a Kicker 10CVR84 unless someone can persuade me to change my mind. Sometime down the road I'm also thinking I'll change my head unit as well.

any suggestions or recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Send Viper238 a pm as he use to install car audio and he is certified. He does all my stuff and trust me he knows his stuff.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCrew Lariat View Post
the factory sub in my 04 Screw blew. I was thinking about replacing with a Kicker 10CVR84 unless someone can persuade me to change my mind. Sometime down the road I'm also thinking I'll change my head unit as well.

any suggestions or recommendations?
If you choose to do it yourself, your going to need more info before deciding on a sub. You'll need the amp specs as well as details on the existing enclosure the sub is mounted in. (assuming you want to mount the new one in the same air space)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
I don't know the specs on the factory amp. but most factory setups run 1 or 2 ohm sub.
I've even seen some older import's run a .5ohm load on the sub so they can run less wattage from the amp.

Personally I'd probably pull out the factory setup and head unit.
put in a aftermarket box/amp to fit in factory location. but make sure the box is optimized for the sub. By replacing the head unit (with something decent) you will gain better sound quality from your sub and speakers as well more control of your sound EQ.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the input!

I was planning on using the existing sub box to save money. I realize that the new sub requires more clearance depth than the old one and I figured I'd just make a spacer out of 3/4" plywood.

I'm going to have to look at the stock sub amp to check to see what it's rated for. I'm a DIY kinda guy (I'm cheap) and I'd like to buy some used stuff to save cash. I know so little about the car audio stuff that I'm not sure what I need if I choose to replace the HU and sub. I have the factory DVD player as well.... I don't want to buy a new HU that doesn't work with that either. Do I need any special harnesses or noise filters or anything? Can anyone recommend a good double din HU? I don't need a big screen or anything but bluetooth capable is a must.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
thanks for the input!

I was planning on using the existing sub box to save money. I realize that the new sub requires more clearance depth than the old one and I figured I'd just make a spacer out of 3/4" plywood.
It's not the same. each sub requires different air space for sealed, ported, etc.

Quote:
I'm going to have to look at the stock sub amp to check to see what it's rated for. I'm a DIY kinda guy (I'm cheap) and I'd like to buy some used stuff to save cash. I know so little about the car audio stuff that I'm not sure what I need if I choose to replace the HU and sub. I have the factory DVD player as well.... I don't want to buy a new HU that doesn't work with that either. Do I need any special harnesses or noise filters or anything? Can anyone recommend a good double din HU? I don't need a big screen or anything but bluetooth capable is a must.
I think the DVD unit is stand-alone and doesn't go thru the radio. Require the headphones to hear anything.

A friend of mine i went to school with owns a shop in Yarmouth, NS. Tri County KustomZ.

Not sure what if he has any used stuff, but i'd go and see him.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

thanks again for the input. Yarmouth is about 5 hours away so maybe I'll check some local shops.

the DVD unit is connected to my stereo tho...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

in case anyone cares to know...

I replaced the blown sub with a Kicker 10CVR82 8" sub. I made a spacer with 3/4" plywood to get the necessary clearance required. It works in the factory box with the factory sub amp.

I only tested it a min or so but it sounds good. I wouldn't say there is a noticable difference from the stock one (before it blew of course).

I'm happy with it anyway.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Well good to hear you got your sub all switched out, and as long as your happy with the sound than thats all that matters.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 06:09 AM

Garage
Let me see if I read that right.....

Looking for suggestions/recommendations....(check)
DIY guy, save cash, "know so little about the car audio stuff"....(check)
Get feedback & info from in-house expert who does audio for a living....(check)....
Get reference from in-house expert who does audio for a living to a known friend who has a relatively local shop...(check)....

Disregard/ignore/argue with all the info/feedback requested, and proceed on original path anyway....(yup, check). lol

Hope your swap works well. Be a shame if things blew up again and it ended up costing you more money in the long run.

Not sure why you asked for help in the first place, but sounds (No pun intended) like you got 'er done.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode