Starting Problems in morning..... - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Starting Problems in morning.....

Hi guys, I have an '08 F150 5.4 and went away for the holidays for a couple weeks. Before I got home my father had to boost it and since before that it would need a boost if off more than 3 or 4 days. So figured it was the battery bought a new one yesterday thinking the battery was the problem. When I went to start it this morning battery charge on dash was showing normal but when turned the key there was a low audible beep and the starter wouldn't engage. So had to get a boost and both yesterday and today after being connected to the other truck for a couple minuted the starter would finally engage. Any idea what can be the culprit? Live in the north and no stealership around. Check engine light doesn't come on or flash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Did you clean the terminal connectors when you swapped out the battery? To me it sounds like you're not getting a good connection

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 PM

Garage
Yah, I'd agree....start with the basics and go from there. It's amazing sometimes how little oxidation/crap buildup it takes to screw up a good electrical connection.

Clean 'em up, snug 'em up (battery and starter both) and see where it takes you.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taisa899 View Post
Did you clean the terminal connectors when you swapped out the battery? To me it sounds like you're not getting a good connection
Yes I cleaned the terminals. just going to thaw it out overnight in the shop tonight and see if that helps. where is the solenoid located on these trucks? Also other connections to check and location would be appreciated. Will have a look at the starter connection also. whereabouts is that located?

edit- found starter location I think if it is same place as an 04? http://www.happywrenching.com/ford/f...tallation.html
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:15 AM

Garage
Just noticed in another thread that you have a remote starter....don't know if it makes any difference, but couldn't hurt to add the info to this thread to see if helps in the troubleshooting.

How are things going?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 AM

Can you but a DVM on the battery before boosting to narrow down whether there is a power draw when the truck sits or is it a starting circuit problem?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

I should have done the voltage check the past few days. I left it in the shop for about 5 hours last night and checked the connections on the starter they were tight and clean. Should have mentioned it had factory remote start in the first post. when I went to start it this morning it started no problem.
The truck is always parked outside since I do not have a garage, plugged in all night since the temps up north here are always below minus 30c.
Now this morning it started no problem so maybe it just needed to thaw out some, maybe ice build up on something? I don't know, we will find out in the next few days if it acts up again.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 PM

If you are having problems, I suspect that the remote starter is the likely issue. I have an aftermarket remote starter/alarm on my 1996 B3000...2 way Compustar was installed about 9 years ago by a local car audio shop. My battery, replaced in June/July 2011, won't start after the truck is parked for up to a couple weeks. Charging system was checked in the summer too...no problem identified. Now I have an intelligent trickle charging system on it. Probably won't put on a remote starter in my future vehicles...not worth the problem or expense IMO....rather put in 100% synthetic oil to make it start easier in the cold.

Already on the second remote...1st one died after 5-6 years of use.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
If you are having problems, I suspect that the remote starter is the likely issue. I have an aftermarket remote starter/alarm on my 1996 B3000...2 way Compustar was installed about 9 years ago by a local car audio shop. My battery, replaced in June/July 2011, won't start after the truck is parked for up to a couple weeks. Charging system was checked in the summer too...no problem identified. Now I have an intelligent trickle charging system on it. Probably won't put on a remote starter in my future vehicles...not worth the problem or expense IMO....rather put in 100% synthetic oil to make it start easier in the cold.

Already on the second remote...1st one died after 5-6 years of use.

Dave
Yeah after I searched and found the old thread that I brought up I am guessing it is the remote start also. If off for a week or more then the battery drains and haven't found the culprit where it was draining till now because my fathers '06 doesn't have First I have heard of an intelligent trickle charge system, think will have to look into it. Hopefully it is something simple that I can install and not to pricey. Thanks all for the info.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 PM

Have you got a battery warmer?

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode