Maple's Mods and other stuff - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Maple's Mods and other stuff

Today I got half of the pulleys: Alternator, Power steering, A/c and I already had 8 rib magnacharger pulley and the metco 8 rib crank pulley is already on there. Went pretty good as far as install goes. Some shims were needed, nothing major. Put the 6 rib belt back on, looks to be running smooth, tomorrow when I get the rest of the pulleys delivered, I will finish it off and go buy 3-4 8 rib belts to try it out at higher rpms etc.

Last edited by maplesyrup; 06-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 PM

Where did you get the pulleys?

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRWZ View Post
Where did you get the pulleys?
Ordered online from rock auto, there is a writeup on this on another forum so I am following his guide. I am sure you could cross reference the part numbers and get them local, but seems like unless the parts store guy knows exactly what vehicle its off of, they cant find anything. Even when I ask for a certain size belt they get confused and ask what vehicle its for. Go back and find the closest size and ill see if its good! lol :P

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplesyrup View Post
Ordered online from rock auto, there is a writeup on this on another forum so I am following his guide. I am sure you could cross reference the part numbers and get them local, but seems like unless the parts store guy knows exactly what vehicle its off of, they cant find anything. Even when I ask for a certain size belt they get confused and ask what vehicle its for. Go back and find the closest size and ill see if its good! lol :P

I'd rather do what you did and buy from rock auto. Lots of the local places have no clue sometime

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRWZ View Post
I'd rather do what you did and buy from rock auto. Lots of the local places have no clue sometime
That is why I went that route.

Rest of them came in mail today and they are all in, and my I-phone got submerged in water, so I will have to find the digi-cam and go buy a new phone.

post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Wow, found my camera, took some pics, lost the USB cable. I am a shit show today. I need one more pulley that is identical to the pulley on the tensioner...Went everywhere (gotta try napa tomorrow) with the part number that I have, nobody has a clue. Bleh. Anyway..here is a pic, on the right you can see the idler pulley is a hair smaller, that's the one I need. Its a Gates 38028. SKRWZ I am pretty sure that all these pulleys are off the late 90's f350's. When I went to partsource, thats what they came up with as application but had none in stock.

post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Well found the Idler at NAPA. Definitely not worth getting local as its twice the price. Anyways, all done, running smooth, belt looks good no chafing or anything, still havent done any WOT runs, but gave it a few good ones and no slip :D, my 6 rib slipped even under light load. This 8 rib belt is common as hell, nobody had 6 rib my size. I think I am done for modifications as far as engine goes now just have to Fix Or Repair Daily and ill be good to go :D heh.

(sorry for dirty engine bay, hard to keep stuff clean )

post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 04:50 PM

Looks good!
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 AM

great idea!

was it a PITA to switch em all out?

did you have to shim them much or at all? Are you talking about batn68's write up?

might consider doing this when I do my Cam Phaser/Supercharger install in a couple months... I hate that squealing!!

Rock Auto kicks ace!
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

It was actually super easy to do!! (Electric fans give you a ton of room up front I didn't have to move anything)
Some Were off by up to a 1/4 of an inch, now if you shim that much the actual bearing wont seat as good on the little boss. So what I did was actually tap the bearing out a bit and then shim maybe a 1/16th of an inch. The bearing was still fully engaged inside the pulley, and this gave me almost full contact on the ID of the bearing and the boss. The only ones you couldn't do this to were the bigger idler pulleys because the bearing had an actual seat to but up to, but those I didn't shim as much.
Yes I followed Batn68's writeup, thats right. The water pump pulley is EXACT Same part number 6 rib or 8 rib, I got one from Steeda.ca anyways because mine had a little groove worn in it the width of a 6 rib. If yours is good condition then it will work.
I recommend getting a straight edge or a laser alignment tool so you can align the pulleys perfect!

When you are putting on your crank pulley make SURE you seal the keyway, you WILL get oil coming by it if you don't, LOL don't ask how I know!

Now that the gears are broken in I went and did a few balls-to-the-wall runs and there is absolutely no slip, the boost is nice and consistent and holds good at high rpm shifts. So glad I did this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode