NEED HELP: 5.4L Steep Hill Stall - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

5.4L Steep Hill Stall

This is the second time this has happened: there is a very steep hill on a woods road that I frequent.... I don't know how to describe it other than if it were any steeper, I wouldn't be able to make it up in the truck. I don't race up the hill but I try to go fast enough to maintain some momentum to keep from spinning up all the rocks and gravel. Anyway, the hill is about 100 yards or so and when I get to the top, the truck quits and the "low oil pressure" light displays. I put it in park and the engine starts although it misses once or twice when turning over. I don't have any other issues afterwards.

Can anyone suggest what I should do to isolate the cause of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Garage
I'm as far from an expert as you can possibly get, but if I was to guess, I'd say the steep angle of ascent causes your oil pickup to suck air instead of oil, because all the oil is at the back end of the pan ???

Another answer might be to go faster.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM

Mike's answer sounds reasonable to me. Just wondering where you are finding a hill that steep unless on the North Mountain in the Valley or Cape Breton.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:02 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Sounds like the beginning of my driveway though I've never had that issue

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
I'm as far from an expert as you can possibly get, but if I was to guess, I'd say the steep angle of ascent causes your oil pickup to suck air instead of oil, because all the oil is at the back end of the pan ???

Another answer might be to go faster.
makes sense to me... now that I think about it, I was probably driving a bit slower than normal both times it's happened... I didn't realize it until just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo View Post
Mike's answer sounds reasonable to me. Just wondering where you are finding a hill that steep unless on the North Mountain in the Valley or Cape Breton.
it's in Collingwood.... it's more of a trail than a road let's say. I definitely wouldn't want to chance it in the winter.... there's a river at the bottom of it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCrew Lariat View Post
makes sense to me... now that I think about it, I was probably driving a bit slower than normal both times it's happened... I didn't realize it until just now.

it's in Collingwood.... it's more of a trail than a road let's say. I definitely wouldn't want to chance it in the winter.... there's a river at the bottom of it.

I'm in Cookstown. Live at the top of Sharp's Hill on 89

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 04:00 PM

I think the oil pressure light turning on is simply a consequence of the engine stalling -- not the cause. I don't see any reason why an engine should stall because of lack of oil pressure.

Did you have a full tank of gas?

I'm more inclined toward it being a fuel problem. I don't know how the fuel tank pickup is arranged on your truck, but the fuel is going to slosh around. At a sharp enough angle, I can imagine the fuel pump sucking in some air.

I've had my truck offroad and nothing but sky visible beyond the hood, but it's never stalled on me. Maybe you should check the fuel filter?

My lawnmower will start to splutter when it's getting low on gas, and it gets tilted at a 10-15 degree angle. That's how I know to put more gas into it. Of course, that's gravity feed, but the same idea.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

the gas tank was just under half full the last time it happened. I can't remember how much was in it the time before that. Thankfully, it doesn't stall until 15 yards or so after I've reached the top of the hill. Now that I'm thinking about it, given the delay, it'd make more sense that it's a fuel issue rather than oil pressure.

I really just hope this isn't a symptom of a worse problem. I also really don't want to stall it on the hill.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCrew Lariat View Post
I also really don't want to stall it on the hill.
No kidding. Rolling backward down a steep, narrow trail with no power steering wouldn't be fun. Bring clean underwear.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2012, 08:48 PM

Do these trucks have rollover sensors like in bikes where it shuts the fuel, I know its probably not steep enough to trigger it if it had one but who knows. But like others said I bet as well its the fuel, and the oil light just comes on when engine dies.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode