NEED HELP: 2005 Silver Metallic F150 XLT 4X4 5.4L 3.55 Ratio 145WB Scab - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Talking 2005 Silver Metallic F150 XLT 4X4 5.4L 3.55 Ratio 145WB Scab

Hey guys, basically in this thread I want to know what YOU would do if this was your '05 Ford F150. Help me with some ideas, this is my first F150 purchase and outside of the maintenance I have to do I want to make this truck awesome! Keep in mind my budget is limited currently so if this was YOU and you were making a wish list, what would be on it??

"Here's the truck as it is right now"

Don't fall over... Paid $3950 Canadian for the truck!
2005 Silver Metallic F150 XLT
Chrome: bumpers, Step Bars, Accents, Wheels
No Fog Lights (Bumper is flush, no fog light insert holes)
4X4 (Automatic with 4Hi/Lo switch in cab)
5.4L V8 (208,000Km's on it to my knowledge quiet normal sounds)
~All Stock parts in engine compartment~
3.55 Ratio Limited Slip Diff (Pinion Seal Leak currently)
145WB Scab 6'5" box
"B" style Electronic AOD transmission
LT265/70R17's Good Year Wrangler Authority's (one tire needing replacement)
7200#GVWR/Tow Packages

Truck for some reason calls for 235 size tires... not sure why but has 265's right now. The spare is 235 however! :P

What I'm wanting to look for...

Mechanical Performance = Top Priority

Suspension Lift/Off-Road/ride quality = Secondary Priority

Stock Stereo/Speaker Replacement = Minor Priority
(but... stock single CD player... CD's jam inside and wont eject, and only 1 speaker in passenger door, rest gone or blown out.)

Pretty accessories = Lowest Priority
(only thing... Factory Jack/Tools were "Jacked" from the truck it seems before I had bought it... Meh... but annoyance)

I'm trying to keep this post as simple as possible with as much info as people would require... please give me a hand guys! I will upload pic's soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quick mention as well... The truck cost $42,900 in 2005. I have all the original paperwork on the truck as well. The truck is in almost perfect condition as well, couple very minor dents (it's a truck right?), one minor scuff and scratch that's all hardly noticeable unless you really look for them (I waxed/buffed them out). Interior had a seat rip (fixed) and crack on the passenger dash panel (looks like someone punched the dash) and one super annoying thing... the rubber/foam shitty ass cup holder material has peeled up and if you don't force it all back into it's place it looks terrible! Would LOVE to replace/repair that off the front center bench seat/console!! Terrible design for that rubberized crap.

ALSO... Forgot to add my upgrades to the truck.

REPLACED:

BLOWN REAR heavy duty ford shocks with ---> Rancho RS5000's

Fram paper air filter

Sylvanna Silverstars H13's replaced stock lights (one headlight high beam blown)

Ok that's all for now!

Thanks guys who choose to reply!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM

Garage
Looks like your profile pic shows fog lights in the front bumper, so not sure what you mean when you say "No fog lights" ?

Jeez, the XLT's have really come down in price, my neighbour scored a 2012 XLT SCrew 4x4 with a 6.5 ft box for less than $35k, taxes in.

Good job with the purchase...how did you manage to score the truck for $4000 ??

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Cav

the truck in the profile pic aint no 05! lol
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Any maintenance records?
What had been done and when?

Those spark plugs should be done if they haven't.
Trans fluid, and transfer case fluid should be as well if haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM

x2 on replacing plugs.... read up on it cause it's not fun. If COPs havent' been replaced, you might want to order a set off EBay and do it all at once... just my opinion.

I'd grab a powerbuilt 3-in-1 jack and throw it in a tote or something. It'll help out much better than the stock one especially if you get lifted or are off-roading. got mine for like 40 bucks.

Another thing - I'm told the brakes wear out quick if you don't keep the slides lubed. I lube mine twice a year.

and the fuel control module is known to get rusty and cause your truck to not start. gotta drop the spare tire, unbolt it, spray with lithium grease then put it back up with longer bolts and spacer washers to keep it away from the frame a bit.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
How long did it have a Fram filter on it? That would be my first concern.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
Looks like your profile pic shows fog lights in the front bumper, so not sure what you mean when you say "No fog lights" ?

Jeez, the XLT's have really come down in price, my neighbour scored a 2012 XLT SCrew 4x4 with a 6.5 ft box for less than $35k, taxes in.

Good job with the purchase...how did you manage to score the truck for $4000 ??
Ya... the picture for my avatar has fog lights yes haha... but it's not my truck just a newer version with the same paint job. I believe this is a 2010-11 F150 FX4 I'm pretty sure haha. Mine is an XLT from 2005 but I'm happy so far with it .

I managed basically by sheer luck and the owners own stupidity for not checking the market value or canadian black book lol. The truck "as is" is still worth $10-15,000 so I got one hell of a deal! I pretty much picked at every little detail I could making the truck look "awful" and then majorly low balled him in negotiation to get the price dropped and then we worked back and forth for a bit on the price until I was pretty much satisfied. Then when we came back to purchase the truck lol... I complained he didn't fill the gas tank and so I managed to get another $50 knocked off the price lol. I'm a cut throat what can I say haha.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper238 View Post
Any maintenance records?
What had been done and when?

Those spark plugs should be done if they haven't.
Trans fluid, and transfer case fluid should be as well if haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya I agree. The original owner did the basic of basic maintenance from what I can tell... pretty much just oil and air filter replacements...

Anyways, so far, I've topped up the tranny fluid (will do a flush soon when I have the $) and I need to top up the rear differential for now... I have a pinion seal leak but I haven't been able to get that deep into repairs quite yet and a little nervous even though it doesn't look too hard.

From what I can see...

Transmission
Transfer case
Front/Rear Differentials

All the above need to have fluids replaced. I also highly doubt the spark plugs have been dealt with yet because from what I can tell... the original owner knew squat about how to take care of routine maintenance! Fortunately, I wont continue that trend! haha
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCrew Lariat View Post
x2 on replacing plugs.... read up on it cause it's not fun. If COPs havent' been replaced, you might want to order a set off EBay and do it all at once... just my opinion.

I'd grab a powerbuilt 3-in-1 jack and throw it in a tote or something. It'll help out much better than the stock one especially if you get lifted or are off-roading. got mine for like 40 bucks.

Another thing - I'm told the brakes wear out quick if you don't keep the slides lubed. I lube mine twice a year.

and the fuel control module is known to get rusty and cause your truck to not start. gotta drop the spare tire, unbolt it, spray with lithium grease then put it back up with longer bolts and spacer washers to keep it away from the frame a bit.
Hey that's a lot of info! Thanks man it's appreciated! I will take all of that into consideration as well as everyone's comments. I do want to lift the truck and a number of other things as well... I'm a bit leary on working with a truck that has almost 210,000 on the engine however... but, I'm also not afraid of investing the time and education in order to make the truck the best it can be before opting for a newer Scab/Screw

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode