2004 transmission rebuild - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

2004 transmission rebuild

Thought I was off the hook with the transmission trouble, but I got stuck in about 6" of snow today, tried to do some rocking back and forth, but the transmission doesn't shift forward/back quickly, so no dice.... By the time I had to get pulled out, I had lost reverse.
(2004 FX4, 140,000km). From what I've read, I believe this is a common failure mode....

So: is there anything special I should do/request with the rebuild? In the mechanical transmission days, you could get a physical "shift kit", which would firm up the shifts (and I'd REALLY like this transmission to shift more firmly!). Can you get something like that available, or do you have to buy a chip/programmer?

And, for the experienced... is there any chance that this has NOT been a catastrophic failure?

Thanks in advance!
DanR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 PM

No reverse pretty much always means the transmission comes out and apart. It's either the band or the reverse input clutch. If you have no engine braking in manual low, then it's the band. If its the revers input clutch you could ask for a four plate setup instead of the usual three plates. I've been running mine with a transgo stage 2 for a few years without problems. I recently had to tame it down when I added a diablo sport predator 91 tune. Good luck with pricing etc. unfortunately you usually get what you pay for.

05 F150 Lariat Screw.
89 LX5.0 usual mods.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the info, ronburgandy. Hats off to Anderson's Transmissions in Saskatoon - fair price (less than I thought), upgraded the known problematic parts, include a shift improver kit in every one of these they touch. Took me way, WAY back in the shop to see all the damage. And 1 yr/20k warranty.

I was a little disappointed in the failure mode - no real change in fluid color, no real symptoms. I have no plans to get rid of this truck (especially now that I've re-invested in it!), so I hope the upgraded parts are good for the next 250,000 km...

danr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode