VCT Solenoids - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

VCT Solenoids

Spent the day on Sunday changing out my FX2's VCT solenoids to the latest updated ones part number 8L3Z-6M280-B.
There is quite the difference with the design from the side, which i didn't get a pic of, and with the end that goes into the head. See pick below. One on the bottom is the original one, the one on the top is the latest updated one. You can see the difference in hole size.

This is supose to help keep the oil psi up at the phasers, and stop (in most cases), or quiet down that tic/knock (what ever one wants to call it) sound that most complain about.
Mine had it when the oil was at operating temps at idle, but it was faint. I figured, what the hell, i'll dig into it.
Upon my research, '07, and newer have to have the cam covers removed, go figure!!! But at least mine doesn't have the bitch of a two piece spark plug issue, so i will deal with the fact my cam covers have to come off. LOL The '04 to '06 can be done with the cam covers on. The rubber seal around the VCT solenoids are removable, and the hole is large enough to allow access to the bolt.
So what had to be moved,or tossed out of the way,..... first though, remove both positive, and the negative cables, for safety reasons, lol, and to allow movement/slack with the cables.
For the passenger side i had to unplug the whole engine harness, and layed it on top of the intake, then removed the 4 coil on plugs, the pvc tube, the pcm had to come out along with the bracket that houses it, and the pcm harnesses had to be stuffed onto the inner fender, while the 3rd one had to be stuffed into the firewall while laying partially on the intake, then i had to undo the nuts that held the A/C Receiver Drier so it could be moved a bit to allow the cam cover to raise for me enough to get to the solenoid, then i undid the cam cover bolts. All this was done, and yet i still could not get the cover off cause of the A/C line that runs partially over the cam cover. I was able to lift the cover enough, and hold it at a certain angle to allow me to unbolt the VCT from the head (reason i unbolted the A/C Reciever), once it was loose, i just slid the VCT upwards into the cam cover, and angled it out toward the front to get it out from there. The reverse of this to install it, then i installed, and torqued everything back.
Now the driver side. It was basically the same as the passenger side minus the A/C stuff, but there is a metal tube that runs on top of the cam cover wich has a few vacuum lines to it, including the brake booster, and fuel pressure sensor, ects. It does lift up pretty easy, but not enough to get the cam cover off, so like the passenger side, the cam cover will only lift enough to allow access. The power steering reservoir also has to be removed, and moved to the side.
So like the passenger side. I lifted the cam cover enough while holding at a certain angle to allow myself to get to the VCT bolt, and to slide it out, and to install the new one.
Then as luck has it, after i reached the last bolt on the driver side cam cover, the front top one that stares at you everytime you open your hood, snapped on me!!!! I turned it slowly waiting to hear my torque wrench to do that "click", instead it "snapped"!!!
So out came the drill, bits, and EZ outs! Glad it was at the front, cause i would have cursed, and threw the torque wrench accross the road!! LOL.... Well i still cursed as i was done the job until this miss hap LOL!
Luckly it was an easy fix, and that i had tones of spare cam cover bolts in a box from when i did the top end of my Mustang GT.
All in all, it's an easy job. Now that i know what it takes, and i've done it, it's a no brainner.
So did it help. Yes, it did, my 5.4 idles nice, in which it did anyways, and pretty darn quiet.
Also looking inside the heads, at the phasers, chains, ects, it all look soooooooooo clean for over 90,000 k's. Glad the original owner did his regular oil changes LOL! Usually everything would have the tarnished, browny stained look inside by now.
Next move of maintenance will be the trans, and diff, then i plan to add a aftermarket oil pressure gauge to monitor the oil pressure seeing that the tensioner guides in these engines like to lose pressure due to seal failure!!!

2008 Oxford White F150 FX2 SPORT Super Crew,5.4L.
2003 Satin Silver Clearcoat Mustang GT,4.6L 2V,5 speed.
stripped,slammed,& cammed!

aka 1LOW03GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Nice write up Jay!
How much did the parts set you back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

I love seeing how some threads have like ....say 33 views, but one comment LOL!! Another reason most don't stick around on most boards, including me !!! Can't say some of us don't fn try!

Anyways, the cost of the solenoids was 180 with taxes for both, not to bad considering. States side they are anywhere from 40, and change to 60, and change a piece from what i have read.

aka 1LOW03GT

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 PM

I know the feeling..
Hence the reason for my other thread..
You got it? you want it? I think it was called..
who knows whats in the future..

not too bad.. but $80 for both would have been better.. but what can you do when you want to support your local businesses..
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 AM

I should look into this. I wasn't aware of updated solenoids. Maybe it would quiet it slightly. It's usually not very noisy

05 F150 Lariat Screw.
89 LX5.0 usual mods.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 05:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1white08fx2 View Post
I love seeing how some threads have like ....say 33 views, but one comment LOL!! Another reason most don't stick around on most boards, including me !!! Can't say some of us don't fn try!
It's all about participation , that's for sure, but do you really need to be validated that bad that you care if someone comments on your thread ?

I read it, but since I don't have that year, or the same problem, or would likely do that mod, I didn't bother.

If you want to get really picky, it's a tough read with one big blurb of words, maybe break it up onto paragraphs ?

Good write up Jay, should have snapped a couple more pics as you were going along, might have generated some more responses.

Keep up the good work, and don't lose interest, everyone's just in summer mode I figure, even the newbs that register and don't post.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Jay likes to crank the wrench, not take pics. The camera would get dirty. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Garage
That's what wives and kids are for...I'll bet the kids would love to help out Dad wrenching by taking pics, and they could learn a few new words while they were at it.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I wasn't implying just about my thread. I was talking in general, and it's just not here. At times i feel like speaking my mind, then i feel better. So i am good. But i will say this..... I do get annoyed when there is that certain kind of person/ people that post all about their stuff, but never reply to anyone, and i mean anyone elses threads but their own, that's good site support!!! . Again, that happens on a few boards. So enough of that LOL!!

As for my cluttered post. Sorry if my story without pics doesn't help some, but i do hope someone with the 3V modular engine will take the time to read, and learn from this post. I'm no photographer during repairs. I just like to get the job done.

And no offence was taken. I am chill!!

aka 1LOW03GT
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM

Garage
Always helps to speak your mind, and only posting on my own threads has never been a problem for me, I mostly comment on anything.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode