NEED HELP: Won't start - No codes - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Won't start - No codes

I'll try to keep this as short winded as possible.
Driving home late Saturday night about 45 minute return from the city, it's miserable, heavy rain, windy, just about 7-8 km's from home, sitting at stop light. Light turns green, hit the gas and my first impression is my tires are spinning on the white lines and then grab pavement, so kind of that sudden hook up at the rear end, only seconds later I come to realize that's not the case and the truck has gone into full epileptic seizure mode, and its surging like its running out of gas. Again as I make my way over to the outside curb lane, I know its not out of fuel, and it hasn't died so I continue driving it to see if I can figure out what the hell is going on. So I can continue to drive it but the tack needle is consistently bouncing from 1000-1500 RPM... wtf???
So I won't seem to make power or get up past 40 kmh, the more load, the more violent and frequent the surges. And by surges I mean it's like someone's flicking the power switch on and off. I also notice that the transmission is shift really hard (not sure between what gears exactly) but it's almost like it doesn't know what gear it wants to go into, and the torque from each shift is giving me that old familiar belt squeal 'type' sound that I no longer believe is the idler bearing. Although this action is somewhat less frequent in it's cycle than the power surges, but twice as disheartening.
I pull over, idles fine... shut her down and pop the hood. Fire it back up and have a listen, nothing glaring, it started fine and idles fine (scratches head)
But, it isn't fine. I limped her home at about 40 kmh max, I noticed that cruising or rolling no load, the surging lessens or basically stops, but as I drive an incline or increase the load it starts back up. Also a point to make is that no engine light has come on.
Next morning, plug in the OBDII scanner, and no codes!!!
It also won't start at all now. Turns over fine, but won't flash up at all.
My first impression is it could be the fuel pump, and after reading a few threads on here, there are definitely some characteristics to support that theory. I can't really tell if I'm hearing the pump prime or not when I turn the key to ignition. But not getting a code for a faulty fuel pump seems a little suspicious.
So, I'm looking for some additional thoughts or suggestions on what to look for.
Going to check for fuel pressure at the injectors when I get home to see if I can isolate it to the fuel pump... or not!
My next worst fear is that it's transmission related, or possibly the ECU
Anybody have these same symptoms, and narrow it down?
Thank you all in advance for your input

<<<I started with nothing... and luckily I think I still have most of it left>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 04:51 PM

So many things it could be. No codes is what is throwing me. How old is your fuel filter and have you pulled dip stick for trans to check fluid? Colour and smell and maybe metal. Also as you say check for fuel pressure. Remember the basics for the engine- air fuel spark.
Good luck.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM

Garage
Is the fuel filter or air filter clogged?

Electrician, powered by Tim Hortons, brought to you by Ford. Java Inside!
The Past - 1976 F-350 Crew Cab 1992 - 2006 RIP
The Past - 1995 F-150 XL Enforcer All Gear Drive 2008 - 2015
The Present - 1993 F-250 XLT Turbo Diesel Super Cab 4x4 2015 - ?
The Future - Who knows?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 10:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
FPDM?..on the fame rail above the rear end..they rust out where the backside rests on the crossmember..common prob on our trucks.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Well, looks like you (we) were all right. Started with the simplest, and changed the fuel filter, as I had forgotten through the cobwebs in my mind, I had a very similar instance happen with my 5.0 ltr. mustang back in like 91' that turned out to be just a clogged fuel filter. Anyways, that didn't cut it so in she went, I had no time to do it myself. Had to replace both the pump and the module (low voltage on the other side)
An $1135.00 Merry Christmas... just what I always wanted.

<<<I started with nothing... and luckily I think I still have most of it left>>>
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 08:32 AM

Garage
Main thing is you're back up and running right ?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Glad to hear you are back up and running. We always hope for cheap and simple but never seems to happen any more.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2013, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

True enough... after having it parked for two weeks and car pooling with the wife, I can't tell you just how nice it feels to be back driving my Ford truck

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 AM
Forum Newbie

My FPDM went out on the way to work couple months ago. i had it towed to the dealer as I had to get to work. I pick it up the next day and am now $500 poorer.
After I found out what it was I was even more annoyed. It's a $150 part that takes a maximum of 15min to change. Oh well, next time...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john666 View Post
My FPDM went out on the way to work couple months ago. i had it towed to the dealer as I had to get to work. I pick it up the next day and am now $500 poorer.
After I found out what it was I was even more annoyed. It's a $150 part that takes a maximum of 15min to change. Oh well, next time...
You got bent over. It's a $60 part on rock auto

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode