confusion with towing - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Filmguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

confusion with towing

Hey guys and girls, I used to be Newfordude on here but had to re register as Filmguy. My wife and I are wanting to purchase a fifth wheel trailer which we want to tow to Vancouver area from just outside of Edmonton, Alberta to live in until we get our permanent location purchased.

Once we land in BC the trailer will not move. We won't be using it as a holiday trailer so I will tow a trailer empty to keep weight down. My truck is a 2008 60 th Anniversary Edition F150 with 373 gears that can tow 8800 pounds. I plan on purchasing an Edge Evolution programmer to set on towing setting. I have an electronic brake controller, rear air bags and a front levelling kit on the truck.

We are considering a 27' 5th wheel with a large slide out. The bulky dinette benches and heavy fold out couch that sit in the slide out have been removed from the trailer and all the tanks and lines are empty.

Here's where my confusion comes in to play. What does the GVWR on the trailer mean? It says it's 11400 lbs. Then there's another column saying the front axle and back axle are 5080 lbs. Online research says the trailer weighs 7600 lbs. It's a 1996 Challenger by Damon Corporation.

Online research says truck should be able to pull it without problem, it's 1200 lbs lighter than truck's towing capacity. Co workers say you have to go by GVWR which says it's supposed to be way too heavy! The axle info does not equate to 11400 lbs when combined, so...not sure what that's about.

Tried to read up on GVWR only to find out there is also GAVW, GCWR, RGAWR and some other variations of those. It involved a lot of math. It also spoke about payloads and tongue weights, etc. After trying to research I am more confused than before I read up on it!

How can I tell if I can tow this trailer or not? Another trailer I looked at that I will not purchase(rough shape) had a GVWR of 9097 lbs but also had another weight listed calling it a dry load of 6605 lbs. Online research for this trailer said it weighs 6420 lbs according to Nada guides.

Can anyone help me figure out how this works before I spend thousands of dollars on trailer and 5th wheel hitch? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 355.jpg (44.7 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 04:44 PM

Can't help you much here. My truck is an 04 F150 Super Crew with 5.4 and 373 gears. I also have bags and 10 ply tires. I run an SCT tuner on 91 octane and tow tune. My trailer is rated 7000 lbs dry weight and tow behind not fifth wheel. I pull at 100-105kph and have no trouble. Run between here and Grande Cache and here to Whitecourt and back a few times every summer. Check BC regs as they are much stricter out there. Sorry not much help.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Thanks MRMagoo, that was helpful actually! I now have another issue that has come up. It looks like my cam phasers are going. I am thinking about putting in a lockout kit and programmer tune custom set for the lockouts. Just not sure if that will have an effect on the truck when I do the out of province inspection.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 03:03 AM
Forum Newbie

Filmguy, did you get your lockout kit? I haven't seen a good one on Ebay, had to buy one from a locksmith, luckily he agreed i need one and had a spare.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewast View Post
Filmguy, did you get your lockout kit? I haven't seen a good one on Ebay, had to buy one from a locksmith, luckily he agreed i need one and had a spare.
He hasn't been back since he posted this. By the way, he was talking cam
phaser lock out kit.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:29 AM
micheal1920

I haven't seen a good one

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Forum Newbie

Towing Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmguy View Post
Hey guys and girls, I used to be Newfordude on here but had to re register as Filmguy. My wife and I are wanting to purchase a fifth wheel trailer which we want to tow to Vancouver area from just outside of Edmonton, Alberta to live in until we get our permanent location purchased.

Once we land in BC the trailer will not move. We won't be using it as a holiday trailer so I will tow a trailer empty to keep weight down. My truck is a 2008 60 th Anniversary Edition F150 with 373 gears that can tow 8800 pounds. I plan on purchasing an Edge Evolution programmer to set on towing setting. I have an electronic brake controller, rear air bags and a front levelling kit on the truck.

We are considering a 27' 5th wheel with a large slide out. The bulky dinette benches and heavy fold out couch that sit in the slide out have been removed from the trailer and all the tanks and lines are empty.

Here's where my confusion comes in to play. What does the GVWR on the trailer mean? It says it's 11400 lbs. Then there's another column saying the front axle and back axle are 5080 lbs. Online research says the trailer weighs 7600 lbs. It's a 1996 Challenger by Damon Corporation.

Online research says truck should be able to pull it without problem, it's 1200 lbs lighter than truck's towing capacity. Co workers say you have to go by GVWR which says it's supposed to be way too heavy! The axle info does not equate to 11400 lbs when combined, so...not sure what that's about.

Tried to read up on GVWR only to find out there is also GAVW, GCWR, RGAWR and some other variations of those. It involved a lot of math. It also spoke about payloads and tongue weights, etc. After trying to research I am more confused than before I read up on it!

How can I tell if I can tow this trailer or not? Another trailer I looked at that I will not purchase(rough shape) had a GVWR of 9097 lbs but also had another weight listed calling it a dry load of 6605 lbs. Online research for this trailer said it weighs 6420 lbs according to Nada guides.

Can anyone help me figure out how this works before I spend thousands of dollars on trailer and 5th wheel hitch? Thanks
GVWR - GAWR (total of all axles) = Pin Weight - Which you MUST count against payload as noted on your vehicle sticker.
GCWR = Trailer Gross + Tow Vehicle Gross.
Check actual weights by going to a CAT scale
Don't believe any published figures except those on your vehicles' rating plates (stickers).
Don't believe anyone who says it's ok to exceed the figures noted above
Note that most trailer tires are built for no more than 100 km/h or 65mph. Check the sidewalls for mfr ratings
Above all Do NOT under any circumstance believe the RV sales people on what you can tow- unless you have an F450 Diesel Dually.

I have a very good booklet by Sherline which will help you understand all the complexities. Send me PM with your email address.

Cheers

GH
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Hey fellow Ford enthusiasts! Haven't been on in a while. Thank you to all who helped me with this question.
I understand more about towing now!
I was able to pull a very heavy fifth wheel into BC through some rather large grades that were nearly impassable with so much weight.
I, unfortunately, had a bad accident where the fifth wheel trailer jackknifed on some deep water in a thunderstorm at dusk 10 miles from my destination. Truck was driveable but was still considered a total wreck. It crushed the roof and blew out the back window. $16k in damage to fix.
So now I have a black 2004 5.4l Lariat with front leveller, pocket fender flares, dual exhaust, drop in K&N filter, aftermarket 20" black & silver accent rims by Monster with 34" tires.
Just got some new tow mirrors and a new raptor style grill and led headlight bulbs on the way. I also have some blacked led taillights and a pair of smoked dual halo headlights to install.
I got rid of the fifth wheel. I don't do any towing with this truck. Just tools and lumber in the bed.
Gotta do a bunch of stuff to get this truck legal to register for Ontario now that I'm back here. ( front strut, upper control arms/ball joints, power window switch, replace a window regulator, repair rusted out cab corners and rocker panels)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 03:39 PM

Garage
Trucks can always be fixed or written off, that's what insurance is for....hope no one was hurt, sounds like it was a serious collision.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Thanks SVT4MT Not as bad as it sounds. a bit scary as it hydroplaned towards a 3ft high concrete barrier at 60k until it finally grabbed and avoided plowing through the concrete. Only damaged the roof and back window. Insurance bought it out and gave me extra for all the recent repair work and upgrades I had done to the vehicle.
Other than my own vehicles damage, no one and nothing else was hurt/damaged. That was fortunate. I even got my truck and trailer off the road to the side to assess the damage before any other traffic coming over the hill would not run onto my accident.
In the long run I am happy. I may have been facing phaser issues with the old 08 60th anniversary. The new Lariat is a higher end truck with higher mileage and an older truck but a good solid engine with no phaser issues.
Mrmagoo likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode